Google tells Gmail users Facebook is a trap

Emil

Staff

As we said it would, Google has struck back in the recent war it started against Facebook over contact data. Now, when you try to export your contacts to Facebook, Google gives you a big warning that calls Facebook a trap, in attempt to convince you not to take your contacts to the social network.

Last week, Google banned Facebook from accessing Gmail contact data by tweaking its the Terms of Service for its Google Contacts Data API so that websites which access Google Contacts will need to offer access to their data too. Facebook has never allowed users to export their contact information, but it still wants its new users to find out whether their Gmail contacts also have Facebook accounts, so earlier this week it implemented a workaround. The world's biggest social network now tells new users to use a Google feature that helps them download their own data, and then instructs them to upload the file back to Facebook. Now, Google is showing the following message when new Facebook users come to export their contact data from Gmail:

The warning can be viewed by anyone on this page (via ReadWriteWeb). If you can't see the image above or navigate to the link, we've pasted the corresponding text below:

quote:

Hold on a second. Are you super sure you want to import your contact information for your friends into a service that won't let you get it out?

Here's the not-so-fine print. You have been directed to this page from a site that doesn't allow you to re-export your data to other services, essentially locking up your contact data about your friends. So once you import your data there, you won't be able to get it out. We think this is an important thing for you to know before you import your data there. Although we strongly disagree with this data protectionism, the choice is yours. Because, after all, you should have control over your data.

Of course, you are always free to download your contacts using the export feature in Google Contacts.

This public service announcement is brought to you on behalf of your friends in Google Contacts.

[__] Register a complaint over data protectionism. (Google will not record or display your name or email address.)

[__] Proceed with exporting this data. I recognize that once it's been imported to another service, that service may not allow me to export it back out.

Select one or more options. Cancel and go back

Permalink to story.

Google is starting to sound like a bunch of cry babies. I wish they would just embrace facebook. Google can't rule everything and we would have much better Google services if it integrated into facebook.

But it's true... Facebook will take your data and use it as they see fit. That message from google is 100 percent fact.

Now that is the pot calling the kettle black!

I'm sure both companies have their users' privacy interests at heart.

Bless their hearts. :)

The battle continues... Kudos to Google though, for not giving up. You can't trust facebook with all of your contact information and so many people just hand it over without thinking. Say goodbye to your privacy!

[_CHECK_] Register a complaint over data protectionism. (Google will not record or display your name or email address.)

windmill007 said:
Google is starting to sound like a bunch of cry babies. I wish they would just embrace facebook. Google can't rule everything and we would have much better Google services if it integrated into facebook.

Bunch of cry babies? They are fighting so that users have more options and more control. Sure, Google would benefit if Facebook went along and allowed its users to export contacts data... but so would EVERYONE else!

Gogogoogle!

That....is......FANTASTIC! I had a chuckle on my face as I was reading it. Are you SUPER sure?

At least Google suggests that users can do whatever they want with their data... Of course Google can do almost whatever they want too, and facebooks exists because of their "data management". lol

windmill007 said:

I agree. This is getting childish.

This is not so bad. They are just giving their users the knowledge about what will happen if they transfer their data. They are not blocking it, so it is all in good measure.

That being said. Google, the company that knows everything, about everyone, all the time, is worried about privacy?!?!

It's quite difficult to know who to believe. I see no big deal with face book not letting out everybody's details to every tom **** n harry. It's just okay by me anyway.

I love Google. They are right to hate Facebook. Reading that warning made me laugh out loud. GO DIE FACEBOOK!

Too many people don't realise how much information on individuals Facebook harvests. Worse still, it seems that the vast majority of its members are blissfully unaware of this as well!

This time I support Google fully.

That;s (sort of) what they're trying to do, you *****. Except Facebook refuse to offer the same export features Gmail does to allow friends to find each other on the respective networks.

windmill007 said:

That;s (sort of) what they're trying to do, you *****. Except Facebook refuse to offer the same export features Gmail does to allow friends to find each other on the respective networks.

Its funny, FB has always been quite open in its battle against privacy, conveniently omitting the fact that they're making money hand over fist selling your information to marketers.

Just like that a-hole who bought up the rights to old Las Vegas newspaper articles allowing him to sue everyone on the internet, what is stopping someone buying the FB data from some soon to go under company, and then proceed to post it online, unless you pay a fee to "opt out" of the publishing.

And considering how many people are falling victim, willingly or not, to various random phishing attacks, how much worse would they be when the person is specifically targeting you, using data from your FB account. Their success rate would probably skyrocket.

It's not a complete noble attempt at warning users there, google is wary of facebook's ambition and potential if given the right circumstances.

I support Google in this. Personally I think it would be a much better world if everyone on facebook exchanged their accounts for a Gmail account. May facebook rot and die, quickly.

Back