GPU for game development and gaming

boagz

So I just downloaded Unreal engine 4 the other day and I want to start making some games. After working with the engine a little my graphics card (GTX 770) died on me so I need a new one. I was wondering what graphics card I should get that will run programs like UE4 as well as programs like blender, maya and/or 3ds max for character development to put into games. I also want to be able to play pretty much any high end game I want. I was thinking along the lines of either GTX 780 or the 780 ti. I was sticking with Nvidia's models because I heard that they are better for programs like unreal engine 4. Right now I want to get a 27 inch IPS monitor, 1080p of some sort so I know these graphics cards should be good for gaming but wasn't sure if the 780 ti would be better for the 3d modeling and animation stuff in things like maya and 3ds max due to its higher number of cuda cores and such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

So I just downloaded Unreal engine 4 the other day and I want to start making some games. After working with the engine a little my graphics card (GTX 770) died on me so I need a new one. I was wondering what graphics card I should get that will run programs like UE4 as well as programs like blender, maya and/or 3ds max for character development to put into games. I also want to be able to play pretty much any high end game I want. I was thinking along the lines of either GTX 780 or the 780 ti. I was sticking with Nvidia's models because I heard that they are better for programs like unreal engine 4. Right now I want to get a 27 inch IPS monitor, 1080p of some sort so I know these graphics cards should be good for gaming but wasn't sure if the 780 ti would be better for the 3d modeling and animation stuff in things like maya and 3ds max due to its higher number of cuda cores and such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Its going to depend on how much you want to spend, Blender is pretty intensive in the realm of GPU's.

780ti will of course be the best option for the gaming aspect, in terms of the Blender and such, I would still say you will be better off with it since it manages to trade blows with even the titan.

But if it comes down to price, you are not missing much with a difference between a 780 and a 780ti.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-ti-review-benchmarks,3663-14.html

I would recommend a Quadro card for game development (especially when dealing with AutoDesk software), but since you want to game, a gaming GPU is more than enough. I would recommend at least a 780. A 780 Ti is also a good option, but the 780 is probably more than enough for 1080P gaming and game developement. But if you are looking into gaming at 2560x1440 then you may need a 780Ti.

Let's talk CPU though. What CPU and OS do you currently have? Having a strong GPU is no use unless you have a good CPU.

I should be okay on that front. I have an i7 4770k. Im also using windows 8. And ya I know those quadro cards are good for game development and such but they are so damn expensive lol. And like you said I want to game as well. I guess the main thing I was wondering was if a 780 ti would give me that much better of an experience (200 dollars worth) over the 780 in terms of the game development and 3d modeling stuff. Is that kind of stuff more CPU dependent then?

I should be okay on that front. I have an i7 4770k. Im also using windows 8. And ya I know those quadro cards are good for game development and such but they are so damn expensive lol. And like you said I want to game as well. I guess the main thing I was wondering was if a 780 ti would give me that much better of an experience (200 dollars worth) over the 780 in terms of the game development and 3d modeling stuff. Is that kind of stuff more CPU dependent then?
Ok, a 4770K is more than enough for what you are doing. If you were going to get really hardcore though, I would recommend getting a Xeon or Ivy Bridge/Haswell Extreme based system, but you are probably not at that point though. And yes, Quado cards are expensive, but if you are a professional AutoDesk user, the GPU certification is VERY important. But for the regular consumer and casual user, a 780 or any gaming GPU will be more than enough. The 780 is 100% fine for your needs and the 780Ti wouldnt help much unless you are running at a resolution of >1080P.

Back