Grab a free copy of Death Stranding for a limited time

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: One of the best games from 2019 is now available free of charge, but you only have a short while to claim it. From now through May 25, the Epic Games Store is offering Death Stranding absolutely free with no strings attached. The game normally sells for $29.99. A new freebie will be unveiled once Death Stranding's time in the spotlight is up, but we don't yet know what it will be.

Four free games will be available over the course of the Epic Games Mega Sale 2023, which kicks off today and runs through June 15. The annual event affords deep discounts on loads of PC games, and also sees the return of the Epic Coupon. Sale highlights include half off Cyberpunk 2077, It Takes Two, and Grand Theft Auto V: Premium Edition, 55 percent off Saints Row, 70 percent off FIFA 23 and a full 75 percent off PC Building Simulator and Far Cry 6 Standard Edition.

The Epic Coupon entitles you to a 25 percent discount on eligible games and can be used on singles or purchases with multiple games that sum up to $14.99 or more after any sale discount. The Epic Coupon is automatically applied at checkout, and you will receive another coupon after completing each eligible transaction.

Epic has also launched a rewards program to help gamers earn even more when shopping on the Epic Games Store. With Epic Rewards, you will get five percent back on your total purchase price as a credit to use on future purchases. Games, apps, add-ons, and virtual currency purchases are all eligible, and Epic notes the credit will hit your account after the 14-day refund window. Best yet, there is no minimum spending threshold and you will have up to 25 months to redeem your Epic Rewards.

Are you planning to pick up anything during the sale and take advantage of the coupon for even more savings? I wouldn't mind trying Death Stranding some time but my dinosaur of a PC has no chance of running it currently.

Permalink to story.

Epic store is giving away free games every Thursday, so it is worth checking and claiming them weekly.
And usually they have better prices than Steam, though Steam has some great discounts too.
GOG is another great gaming platform and it is the best for those who want to buy the games DRM free and own them instead of "renting" them.

Epic store is giving away free games every Thursday, so it is worth checking and claiming them weekly.
And usually they have better prices than Steam, though Steam has some great discounts too.
GOG is another great gaming platform and it is the best for those who want to buy the games DRM free and own them instead of "renting" them.
Yup. I don't buy anything off of the EGS, but am happy to take free games.

And, to be fair, Steam's DRM is optional for devs to use, and casual to bypass if they do use it (to stop non-techy people from opening a game they don't own). It's really easy to find a bypass if needed (exceptions being for games heavily integrating online stuff).

This one again? Oh well, I already got it free last time, and wasted a few hours in it (most of which was not gameplay).

Yup. I don't buy anything off of the EGS, but am happy to take free games.

And, to be fair, Steam's DRM is optional for devs to use, and casual to bypass if they do use it (to stop non-techy people from opening a game they don't own). It's really easy to find a bypass if needed (exceptions being for games heavily integrating online stuff).
It is not only steam drm, but as well renting a copy instead of buying it. Lack of account sharing. And bypasing drm means steam IS drm.
I always buy games on gog first, then it is either epic or steam. We need competition and I'm very happy we got some. But gog is the only platform which years me like a proper customer.
Still, I really appreciate valve for Linux focus. Great job. As a Linux user I love it, and sure to their monopoly on certain titles still spend money there anyway.

Std editions - of games with huge DLC - is it a good buy? - as now limited to DLC on epic - often if wait get full bundle or GOTY edition cheaper elsewhere

This one again? Oh well, I already got it free last time, and wasted a few hours in it (most of which was not gameplay).
It was awful, if you ask me. I put 8 hours into and it was half watching scenes unfold and maybe half a walking simulator. I gave up after that. Glad I got it free and didn't pay for it.

It is not only steam drm, but as well renting a copy instead of buying it. Lack of account sharing. And bypasing drm means steam IS drm.
I always buy games on gog first, then it is either epic or steam. We need competition and I'm very happy we got some. But gog is the only platform which years me like a proper customer.
Still, I really appreciate valve for Linux focus. Great job. As a Linux user I love it, and sure to their monopoly on certain titles still spend money there anyway.
Lack of account sharing? They have family sharing that isn't terribly overbearing. They just make sure that a game (that you only bought one copy of) only has one instance playing at one time.

And it's no Denuvo DRM. I'd take Steam's casual DRM any day if publishers are going to insist on having SOMETHING to help against straight-to-pirate-sites uploads.

This is the 2nd time Epic is giving away this game. After playing it for free, I felt so relieved that I didn't even purchase it during a sale.

I was never sold on the "next big game from Hideo Kojima" during the great marketing hype before release. Never bought it. And even after getting it for free, I uninstalled it, to save space, after realizing that I haven't played for few days already after the first few hours on day 1.

I stopped buying games from Steam after Epic started giving out free games every week. I'm not sure I will have time to play all the games in the library I have been collecting for free.

It was awful, if you ask me. I put 8 hours into and it was half watching scenes unfold and maybe half a walking simulator. I gave up after that. Glad I got it free and didn't pay for it.

Its only the first part that's like that, you get bikes and other types of transport to get you around, also you end up helping other people as well like leaving a ladder or rope for them to use after you did the difficult part, and also items to use, the story is great if you stick around to play it. Also its a Hideo Kojima game so you know it will be great in the end, I would not jump on the "walking sim" band wagon that quick.

Lack of account sharing? They have family sharing that isn't terribly overbearing. They just make sure that a game (that you only bought one copy of) only has one instance playing at one time.

And it's no Denuvo DRM. I'd take Steam's casual DRM any day if publishers are going to insist on having SOMETHING to help against straight-to-pirate-sites uploads.
Have you ever tried family sharing? you do not share a game, you share a library. If someone from your family starts any game in this library, any other person who is playing any other game from this library will get notification and gets kicked out. It is really unusable.
With gog I simply share a game to my family. It is much better for me as a user - no limits, no issues.
And sure steam drm is not denuovo, but drm nevertheless. I had way too many issues at certain point when unstable internet connection made steam unusable to not care about drm.
Still steam is a good Storefront, but there are better options as well.

Last edited:
Haven't purchased a single game from them, but I have managed to acquire 35 AAA games for free. Just have to be patient.

Have you ever tried family sharing? you do not share a game, you share a library. If someone from your family starts any game in this library, any other person who is playing any other game from this library will get notification and gets kicked out. It is really unusable.
With gog I simply share a game to my family. It is much better for me as a user - no limits, no issues.
And sure steam drm is not denuovo, but drm nevertheless. I had way too many issues at certain point when unstable internet connection made steam unusable to not care about drm.
Still steam is a good Storefront, but there are better options as well.
You just get either to quickly go offline. I haven't noticed anything otherwise, but I mostly play offline/singleplayer titles. I even got 5 way co-op working for a game (through 1 account). You just gotta know the simple "workarounds".

I've never been kicked out of a game by Steam when my internet is flaky. But if I really need to, I'd just go into offline mode; I've had no issues.
And it's a lot better about it than other launchers like the Epic Games Store. Last I checked, you can't even boot up a game without internet.

Anyways, for me, Steam is fine (#2 in consumer ownership). GOG being #1, and sounds like a good alternative if I needed to, but they have a much worse selection of the bigger publisher games.

Its only the first part that's like that, you get bikes and other types of transport to get you around, also you end up helping other people as well like leaving a ladder or rope for them to use after you did the difficult part, and also items to use, the story is great if you stick around to play it. Also its a Hideo Kojima game so you know it will be great in the end, I would not jump on the "walking sim" band wagon that quick.
Perhaps, but if a game takes almost 8 hours to get you to a point where it isn't tedious and boring, there's something wrong with it. I don't mind a game that builds up a story and tries to drive a narrative, but with you needing to do very little interaction or boring walking for such a large duration of time during the start of the game it's just bad game design.

Anyone old enough should remember the Dragon's Lair arcade game - it's basically just an interactive video that you mindlessly watch and try to hit buttons or move the directional stick at the right time to advance through the story - otherwise you meet an untimely death. The game was boring, very little interaction from the user and this is what Death Stranding reminds me of.

Perhaps this could be the time for me to finally snag Red Dead Redemption 2, it's on sale and 25% coupon brings the price down to under $15...

They gave this game for free a few weeks back, I already claimed it at that time. I claim all free games every Thursday, even if I will probably never play all of them, unless I live until I'm 200 years old or more... :)

Grabbed myself a copy of the walking simulator. I was always on the fene about the game, but when it's free you have nothing to lose.

Back