Graphics Card - Black Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, this is my first post and i hope its in the right place!

Last night i turned on my computer for the first time that day, and all seemed fine; windows logo came up with the little loading bar, but instead if loading the desktop, up came a black screen. Funny thing was that windows was working in the background! I read through people having the same problem in these forums, and it turns out its not an overly uncommon problem; graphics card issue. I booted in safe mode, and uninstalled the graphics card and drivers, and when i rebooted it was fine, albiet in low resolution. i downloaded and reinstalled the drivers from my providers site, and when i rebooted i had the same problem. So now i am sitting typing this (the text looks huge on this resolution) and have a simple question. Is the issue here that the graphics card is broken? I hope this isnt the case as it is an onboard card and will cost about $900 for a replacement. My specs are below (i'm a bit of a gumby when it comes to computers so go easy on me ;)

HP Pavillion zd8000 (lappy)
P4 3.2
Onboard Mobility Radeon X600 128MB
XP Pro

Do you have the same black screen using an external monitor? If you do, you won't be spending $900 on an on-board video card, you will spend $900 on a new motherboard...

Have you tried to install the graphics driver once more?

Thanks Tmagic, I have tried reinstalling the drivers multiple times, and each time after reboot i get the black screen. After this i reboot in safe mode and uninstall the drivers, and upon reboot it works fine albiet without a graphics card. A friend told me that it was the graphics card that needs replaced (and as it is an onboard card this means the whole kit and caboodle), but before i sent the laptop to the HP service center for $900 worth of repairs i wanted other peoples opinions.

zd8000 black screen

Just to let you know that it is you video card and it's not just you it's many many other, and i think we should all get togather and let hp know of this by calling and make a formal complant to the company. I myself have called hp four times and going to keep doing it untill i get my computer fix free of charge. come join the get you computer fix for free team.

How did that go for you?

Just to let you know that it is you video card and it's not just you it's many many other, and i think we should all get togather and let hp know of this by calling and make a formal complant to the company. I myself have called hp four times and going to keep doing it untill i get my computer fix free of charge. come join the get you computer fix for free team.

I have the same EXACT problem with my HP ZD-8000. I found a couple places that do component level repair on motherboards. Their cost is only $150. To replace, I've found prices as low as $350. Either way, it's money we shouldn't have to pay if so many people are having the same problem.

Were you ever successful in getting HP to replace yours free of charge? What did you end up doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back