Graphics Card compatibility with other parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ditto9

Hey, first things first, I'll tell you the specs as far as it can go, but it's not going to be as detailed as possible, and you'll see why.

Graphics card:
(Old, but has been working in previous system)
ATI Radeon x1600

Motherboard:
(Brand new)
Asus P5QL Pro

PSU:
(Brand new and working for definite)
OCZ Stealth Xstream 700W

RAM:
(Brand new)
OCZ PC6400 2x1Gb

CPU:
(Brand new)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300

Also, a brand new Western Digital 500Gb blank formatted HDD

The problem is that when all of them are put together, plugged in correctly, there is no video output on my monitor (which does work, the cables are working too). Seeing as this motherboard has no onboard graphics (which is stupid in my opinion) we're unsure as to what we can do to make it work. My boyfriend is the one who's putting the parts together, and he's tried nearly everything we can. We have tried another GPU - an nVidia Geforce 6600GT (which we're not sure, but we think its dead anyway) - and no luck there. We figured that the harddrive and motherboard would work with the GPU once the drivers were all installed, but with no onboard graphics to even show on screen, we're stuck.

He now thinks that it could be the CPU, but we have no proof of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? As you can see, we cant get the nitty gritty details from cpuz, as we cant access anything. Not even bios, haha.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance C:

i think there are (We cant switch it on again right now, we're waiting for the electricity to go from the capacitors...or whatever he said haha), like there used to be with our old system. I can only remember that the new harddrive was making quite a bit of noise, but right now thats all I can tell you, I'll reply again in a bit when we try yet another option...
Thanks C:

Likely the board or CPU.
The normal troubleshooting routine would be to disassemble the system.
Remove the CPU cooler and the CPU. Check the motherboard socket for bent or broken pins- they should be fairly obvious to you if you check the socket from multiple angles. If all good then:
Set the motherboard on it's anti-static bag and place both on top of the motherboard box (as a stand) for a firm tabletop.
Reinstall the CPU and cooler.
Install ONE stick of RAM into the memory slot closest to the CPU socket.
Attach the power cables ( 24 pin motherboard and 4 pin EPS 12v)
Add the graphics card and install it's auxillary power-then attach the monitor cable.
Attach the case's front panel power cable to the motherboards front panel header.
Your system now has the minimum requirements for a start up (POST)
Having the motherboard outside the case will discount the possibility of a short circuit.
Turn on the power at the wall (and PSU if it has a switch), press the case's power button and cross your fingers. If it starts then you most likely have a motherboard standoff (brass post that the motherboard screws attach to) connecting with the back of the motherboard.
If you still have no life in the system then change the RAM stick for the second stick and repeat -If still no life it's either a dud CPU or Motherboard -it's more than likely the motherboard.
During the uninstalling and rebuilding of the system, keep the PSU's power cord attached and plugged in at the wall BUT switch off power at the wall and PSU. The PSU is now grounding the chassis and components, and by touching any non-painted metal surface you will protecting the system components from static electricity discharge.
Avoid working on carpet, nylon clothing (I know, I know, What will I wear!!!! lol), and cats and dogs as these can allow you to build up static electricity very quickly.

Thanks for the great reply, we're gunna try it tomorrow seeing as it's getting a bit late now. Dont worry about the carpet and cats and dogs, haha, we have none of those.
We'll attempt the out of case thing tomorrow for definite as you have described and see how that starts up.
My partner mentioned earlier that he thinks the CPU is the faulty product, as he's convinced the warranty seal was broken on the box - but of course he has no way to test or prove this.
The other thing that we think is the main problem is the GPU, that it's just too 'old' for the motherboard, and therefore just not compatible. But I'll be damned if Google can tell me - there's no lists of compatibility as far as I can find, and it's annoying. I've Googled just about every phrase I can think of haha.
The final thing, and this is worrying my partner a little, is what happened when he put the CPU on the motherboard...
The pins in the CPU were meant to just 'click' into place, by 'pushing really hard' (his old CPU had screws, so you can guess that he wasn't too sure on just how hard to push) and when I came back he told me it'd left a dent in the motherboard when he'd pushed it in! The reverse of the motherboard had been bent slightly. He doesn't want to look like an *****, but he's scared now that something's gone wrong with the motherboard due to the odd pins in the CPU...
He pulled it back out when it happened, and put it back in so it didn't push the motherboard out.
But he's never come across a CPU that lies lower than the motherboard - is this normal for CPUs these days?
(He has been out of touch for a couple of years with computer parts, and its normally his brother that sorts it out too, the two of them, but his brother can't be bothered coming to see him for a couple of hours to sort it out....but thats another story lol...but anyway yeah, he doesn't want to sound like an *****. He's not an expert but he's fitted plenty of parts in the past and knows enough. This has just stumped him...)
Sorry for a huge post!

The other thing that we think is the main problem is the GPU, that it's just too 'old' for the motherboard, and therefore just not compatible.

I'm assuming that the graphics cards are PCI-E. As long as you have a PCI-E slot on the motherboard the card should be compatible.

The pins in the CPU were meant to just 'click' into place, by 'pushing really hard' (his old CPU had screws, so you can guess that he wasn't too sure on just how hard to push) and when I came back he told me it'd left a dent in the motherboard when he'd pushed it in! The reverse of the motherboard had been bent slightly.

The CPU comes with installation instructions that usually tell you the configuration in which to put it into the motherboard. Usually there's an identifying mark (like a triangle) on both CPU and it's socket on the motherboard and you're to put it in such that they correspond. It should never be "pushed" in, just placed on the socket. Hopefully the CPU hasn't been damaged.

But he's never come across a CPU that lies lower than the motherboard - is this normal for CPUs these days?

I'm not sure I understand. The CPU simply rests on it's socket on the mobo. It does not protrude outwards too much, if that is what you mean.

I'm assuming that the graphics cards are PCI-E. As long as you have a PCI-E slot on the motherboard the card should be compatible.
Fair enough, yes it's a PCI-E.

The CPU comes with installation instructions that usually tell you the configuration in which to put it into the motherboard. Usually there's an identifying mark (like a triangle) on both CPU and it's socket on the motherboard and you're to put it in such that they correspond. It should never be "pushed" in, just placed on the socket. Hopefully the CPU hasn't been damaged.
I think I've misspoken - the heat-sync was what needed to be 'pushed hard'. He did his research on this and everyone on Google (haha) said the heat-sync needed to be pushed 'really hard'. I just normally call it all one thing. He says the motherboard is infact placed correctly, like you mentioned.

I'm not sure I understand. The CPU simply rests on it's socket on the mobo. It does not protrude outwards too much, if that is what you mean.
Like I said, I mean the heat-sync when I'm mentioning the whole 'push' hard thing, and this is clearly what bent the motherboard too.
Because it was such a faff on getting in, he's too wary of taking it off, but he seems positive that the CPU itself is correctly installed.
Also, the power is reaching the fan, and making it whirr like mad, so the powers getting to it, too.

Sorry to be ambiguous haha.

haha, he now informs me it's 'heatsink'...I didn't bother asking, I've never needed to spell it before, and being an animator I thought of lip-sync haha.
Uggh, it's too late to be a noob.

No problem-everyone was a noob at some stage- just some of us had Fred Flintstone as a neighbour when we first started out.
Here's an informative video series from Loyd (He may look like that creepy uncle who shows up at family functions but he does know what he's doing)
Take it away Loyd...
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2324281,00.asp

Bear in mind that applying pressure to ensure proper contact between components is a relative concept. Firm pressure is often enough for most adults to get the desired result.

Yeah, sometimes the heatsink may need to be pushed in hard. On Intel machines usually the diagonally opposite pins need to be pushed in simultaneously.

Have you guys followed the instructions posted by dividebyzero earlier? That's probably the only way you have to identify the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back