graphics card not being recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffaSmoke

After much searching and no joy, I'm asking for help.

I've been working out some problems as described here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62801.html after installing new HD.

Yesterday I formatted the HD and installed XP again. Doing so with no other HD in the mix and configuring the new HD as drive C solved many issues.
The system, however still doesn't recognize the graphics card. Everest indicates AGP Status is Enabled, but curiously (to me) shows AGP Device to be the integrated graphics (VIA/S3 Unichrome Pro Integrated). The same VIA/S3 is the only display adapter that shows in Device Manager. I even disabled it thinking that would help. It did not.

I almost forgot to mention what should be 512MB of memory shows as only 447MB (as per Everest). I am planning to go to 1GB, but I'm hesitant to invest in this machine if GPU is failed.

What can I do?

Thanks

What pc have you got and is there a setting to disable onboard graphics and/or select primary graphics adapter????

thanks for the attention, Rik. I am a novice so bear with my butchered nomenclature.
The comp was 'custom built' by a local vendor and the guy is pretty much useless for support. In BIOS 'integrated peripherals' is set for init AGP. I remembered that much from when I first installed the graphics card a couple of months ago.

attached is quick report

When I bought the system the builder gave my the box and user's manual that the motherboard came with. The box says "mach speed" with a sticker: Model Name: PM9MSR2

Don't worry about the download then, have a look at what i added to my previous post!!!!

I expect the ram reporting wrong is caused by your onboard graphics reserving ram!!!!

I'm beginning to think that the graphics card is faulty, do you have another card that you can try????

No other graphics card to try nor computer to try this card in.

I guess that since Device manager only shows the onboard (IGP) it means the card is most likely failed?

I was pretty careful handling it. Are they terribly sensitive?

They are fairly sensitive, if it is still under warrenty you could see if you can get it replaced!!!!

still under warranty, although I'll have to send it the manufacturer.
it's an ATI Visiontek Radeon X1300
is it a decent unit?
can you recommend something better for ~$150 US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back