Graphics card not detected

Alexexex

Wow so I just received my new 6870 in the mail today and guess what... it doesn't work.

Well, here's what I did so far.

I uninstalled all nvidia graphics drivers, which I used for my 9600 gso.

Rebooted to complete installation.

Disabled onboard video drivers.

Shut off computer.

Installed 6870 into motherboard.

Booted up.

Now I don't get any video from the card outputs itself, so I used my onboard video output to log into windows 7.

I tried installing the CCC, but the installation failed or something like that.

I check the device manager, and there isn't any sign of the 6870 showing up.

Now I'm a little scared, and not sure what to do.

The 6870 appears to be powered, cause my computer is x10 louder with that damn fan.

Its just that it won't be recognized by device manager and the drivers won't work.

Thanks guys.

Edit:

When I installed the 6870 I had to move the hard drive and cd sata cables from the first and second port to the third and forth ports.

Whenever I boot, my POST says your system last boot fail or POST interrupted.
Please enter setup to load default and reboot again.
I press f1 to bypass this.

Also, when I go into system, for some reason it only detects 3.87 GB of RAM... I have 64 bit windows 7 <-- it only started happening since the new graphics card was installed.

Reinstalled Windows 7... same damn problem. Also, I'm starting to think that the graphics card is defective, as even the bios cannot recognize the card on boot. And I believe that is the reason for the POST failing.

Also, when I go into system, for some reason it only detects 3.87 GB of RAM... I have 64 bit windows 7 <-- it only started happening since the new graphics card was installed.
That's probably because your onboard video is allocating some of it.

Just to touch this base, did you connect the power supply to the graphics card's power connectors?

I remember when I bought my (PowerColor) 6870 it said on the box "requires one PCI-e six-pin power connectors [sic]" but it actually required two. So yeah, just so you know, you need to connect both connectors, just in case you didn't.

Yup and Yup, I used a 6 pin connector from my power supply and a dual molex to 6 pin connector.

What power supply are you using and how many amps does it have on the 12V rail or rails?

I'm not very familiar with power supply specs but here they are:

5V - 30 amps
3.3V - 18 amps
12V - 32amps
-12V - 0.6amps
5VSB - 2amps

So... what does the 12V rail do, I suppose it powers the gpu?

Anyways, once in like 30 times I can boot into windows and its pretty great.

I am able to play any game I like and in some games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 it stresses it to 100% so I'm not sure if its the power supply. I'm actually leaning more towards the damn motherboard being somewhat incompatible.

The 12V rail provides most of the power to the graphics card. If you want to replace the motherboard, go ahead. It's just that I would want to rule out the PSU first.

Its pretty much impossible for the motherboard to be incompatable. It either has a PCI-Express 16x slot and fits, or it doesn't.

If its working then it should be fine.

What is the total wattage of your PSU? How old is it, and what is the make and model of it?

It could also be a faulty GPU. If it was me, I'd RMA it just in case.

My PSU is some brand named "Powerup!" its my first time trying it out so I'm not sure if that is the problem or not.

It is 550W, which is above the minimum requirements.

As for the gpu, that is possible, but I really want to make sure that it is definitely the problem since my understanding of an RMA is that I'd have to pay to ship it back.

Also, I read up on some articles that since this motherboard has some Nvida GeForce integrated graphics, it somewhat takes over control?.. But I'm not really sure of this at all.

RMA... any experiences to tell me about?

My PSU is some brand named "Powerup!" its my first time trying it out so I'm not sure if that is the problem or not.

It is 550W, which is above the minimum requirements.

As for the gpu, that is possible, but I really want to make sure that it is definitely the problem since my understanding of an RMA is that I'd have to pay to ship it back.

Also, I read up on some articles that since this motherboard has some Nvida GeForce integrated graphics, it somewhat takes over control?.. But I'm not really sure of this at all.

RMA... any experiences to tell me about?

If the fan on the video card runs at 100% then its not working properly. It should spin down after 4-5 seconds to almost not audible. Whenever a cpu or gpu fan stays at max its not even initializing properly at post. The card may be bad or the psu is total crap. I kinda doubt the psu is the issue. But a 550 without two PCI-Express power connectors is not a 550. Check the label, find the total combined output. Find the max amps the 12v will output, not the total of the rails but the total all the rails can use. If its not over like 40 (i think for 6870) then it may not work.

edit...
PowerUp! GEN-2004 550 Watt ATX Power Supply
Form Factor: ATX
Wattage: 550W
Fan: 120 mm
Input Voltage: 115 ~ 230
+3.3V: 18 A
+5V: 28 A
+12V 1: 32 A
-12V: 0.8 A
-5V: 0.6 A
+5VSB: 2 A

sorry dude but if thats it its total .... you have 384 watts of 12v total. thats really weak considering the comptuer uses 90-95% of the power from the 12v rail.

the corsair vx550 for reference has 41a of 12v. see crappy psu companies get their power rating from the 3.3 and 5v since they are much easier/cheaper to get high. the rating is 3.3+5+12 total output.

sorry dude but if thats it its total .... you have 384 watts of 12v total. thats really weak considering the comptuer uses 90-95% of the power from the 12v rail.

It gets worse.
384w is for 100% efficiency....I'm pretty sure a "Powerup" PSU falls someway short of that. PSU component aging will lower that number still further...and somewhat faster I'm guessing on a budget brand

Hello, Has this thread died ?

This is exactly the same issue as I am having with my HD 5870 and I am longing for a solution.

What has happened in the end ?
Is the card faulty ?

My g-card does the same..... not boot, 100% fan.... However my psu's are totally adequate...

750w Antec
And a Corsair TC850w (Min PSU)

Any update on what the result was would be greatly appreciated.... I have a card that I can make boot by removing and re-attaching the CPU power on another motherboard.... But it can not initialize from cold....

Update the GPU's bios???

Please don't leave this thread un-answered
Thanks

Make sure all the wires are connected properly and the right wires are connected to the right ports.

Oh, so that's what wires are for !!! I thought they were to make a nice mess..... HA HA !! Thanks for your message, but I'm quite sure everything is in the correct place.

Whats more I am writing this and about to play a game using the 5870 graphics card...

The only way I am managing this is:

1. remove massive card from case which is a pain then the butt.
2. get out old motherboard and a psu - plug it all in.. (Minus CPU power)
3. Turn on motherboard for 30 seconds
4. Plug in CPU power and turn on motherboard for 30 seconds
5. Turn off motherboard and put away old system
6. Have fun jamming massive card back into new system.
7. Power on, runs like a dream........

If I turn the pc back on next day.... repeat from step 1.

{Solution} Never turn off pc.

I had the following problems: fan goes up to 100% sometimes on startup (other times it didn't) computer doesn't recognize second 580 card. looked at forums like this....

1)clicked on devices, some kind of vga error (yellow triangle), clicked to fix automatically
2) made sure card was seated in slot.
3) instead of 6-pin, used a 6 pin to 8 pin converter/adapter I hand laying around
3.5) made sure connection was in good
4) installed a newer driver
5)restarted computer

success!

I had the following problems: fan goes up to 100% sometimes on startup (other times it didn't) computer doesn't recognize second 580 card. looked at forums like this....

1)clicked on devices, some kind of vga error (yellow triangle), clicked to fix automatically
2) made sure card was seated in slot.
3) instead of 6-pin, used a 6 pin to 8 pin converter/adapter I hand laying around
3.5) made sure connection was in good
4) installed a newer driver
5)restarted computer

success!

I meant to say second 580 gtx fan went to 100% on startup

Back