Graphics Card Overheating while playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

subzer0

I realized that my graphics card (Geforce 6800GT)idles at 59C, but slowly builds up to 70C when I play a game. At this point, my mouse light starts to flicker, and freeze constantly etc etc. There are also chances of getting a nv4_mini.sys BSoD. My question is, is it normal for the 6800GT to go up 10C just by playing a game? It isnt even that graphic intensive (CS 1.6, Warcraft 3). Currently, I have one side of the PC case opened for more air flow. It lowered temperatures a bit (i use to have temperatures up to 80C) but it still doesn't seem to be enough. Are there any options besides buying fans?

It is normal for temperatures to rise during a game but your temperatures are a bit high. You could remove the heatsink and fan, clean the old thermal compound off and reapply some Arctic Silver and reinstall the heatsink/fan to the graphics card. As long as your fan is capable of getting up to full song, your temps should go down. Anyway, it's cheap to try.

Ok, I did as you said, but I'm still getting high temperatures. I'll see if I can do tests with a different video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back