Graphics Card upgrade for Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently have the GeForce 4, however, this is not compatible with Aero graphics with the new win 7 system. I have a 17" LED monitor I would like to use. Currently using a CRT. After viewing what I have what is the hot Graphics situation that will operate with my system. Keeping in mind the pocket book is frugal but sometimes a little more spent is cost effective in the long run. Not much of a gamer but love flight sims and such. Are there any other upgrades that should be considered?

I'm not sure what DX10 represents however I'm sure in my searching I will find the grail. Thanks for the input and I shall be on my quest.

I'm not sure what DX10 represents however I'm sure in my searching I will find the grail. Thanks for the input and I shall be on my quest.
DX10 is graphics renderer function in windows 7.

What are you computer specs, specifically your motherboard and power supply?

flight sims
Flight simulators are actually pretty demanding.

DX10=Direct X 10 compatible... You will see this in the graphics card specs. Can we assume that you are running Vista now? If so, You should be able to run Windows 7 Ultimate RC fine. I imagine a computer running XP, SP3, would run Windows 7 well to as long as you have at least 2GB of RAM installed

[quote='hellokitty[hk];754164'
Flight simulators are actually pretty demanding.[/quote]
Meh, Flight Simulator 2004 (M$) actually isn't. It also installs with a SN#, and doesn't require activation. It's down to about $10.00 now. M$ FS-10 is the resource hog. Great stuff for 10 bucks!

BTW, "Microsoft Flight Simulator". was at or very close to ground zero for M$, they released the program for the original Atari Computer. (Not the game console).

More on topic; all 9xxx series Nvidia cards are DX10 enabled. I would guess the new 2xx series would have to be. Don't know the numbers in ATI though.

More on topic; all 9xxx series Nvidia cards are DX10 enabled. I would guess the new 2xx series would have to be. Don't know the numbers in ATI though.
Yes, all NVidia cards above 8800 i know are DX10 compatible, as are the GT200 series cards. Same with any ATI HD 4000 series cards. What card you get would still depend on the rest of your computer.

Sorry for the late response - been playing with the sand rail - However, currently running XP, Dell motherboard 0M2035 Dimension 8300,Bus Clock 800Megahertz, 1536 Ram, 2.80G Intel Pentium 4, NVIDIA GeForce MX 440 W/APX8X, CRT Monitor Dell E773c. Going to upgrade to LCD Monitor. Can play Microsoft Flight Sim X and a bunch of others that are 3+ years old. I was worried about the .8 power but don't know what I can do about it. I was looking at newer versions of Flight Sims but not sure if current card can handle anything newer. I have a laptop with Vista and in my opinion Vista #####. Soooo hoping 7 is somethin better. Think I should go to 2G Ram? Don't think this machine can actually USE more than 2G even though it's got slots(DIMM). When I ran the Microsoft Compatibility program for 7 they stated that the only upgrade I would need to do is the graphic card - again I am not sure if they are just trying to get you to just purchase with a thin ability to run full features or basic features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back