Grooveshark concedes defeat, shuts down as part of settlement with major record labels

Shawn Knight

Staff member

grooveshark music record labels streaming music record companies

There are one fewer streaming music services for listeners to choose from today as Grooveshark has abruptly shut down shop. The closure is a result of a settlement between parent company Escape Media Group and record labels Sony Music, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group over a copyright infringement lawsuit.

In addition to shutting down the service, Grooveshark was forced to admit they were wrong, issue a formal apology to the music industry and encourage its users to seek out a licensed service that compensates artists and other rights holders.

The Recording Industry Association of America said this is an important victory for artists and the entire music industry. For too long, RIAA continued, Grooveshark built its business without properly compensating the artists, songwriters and everyone else who makes great music possible.

As Re/code notes, a U.S. District Court judge last week told Escape Media that it could be liable for up to $736 million in damages after losing a copyright case. The company had to decide if it wanted to face that massive penalty or walk away free and clear. It chose the latter.

In Grooveshark’s farewell message, co-founders Josh Greenberg and Sam Tarantino noted that in 2007 when the service debuted, there were few music services that provided the experience they wanted to offer and thought fans deserved. That’s no longer the case as the music landscape has dramatically changed and there’s now a wealth of services to choose from.

Permalink to story.

Yep, because if anyone should be allowed to continue to screw over artists, it should be the big record labels. Isn't it great how new companies can be snuffed out by frivolous litigation?

What isn't actually covered in the article that has been covered on other sites is, they ended up taking songs and putting them on the service without caring. No permission was cared to be asked in the first place, no license deals or anything so basically it was running the risk of it's own choice.

Even when individual artists that are not under the big record labels reached out, asking for things to be taken down it was often scoffed at. Basically the labels had the financial means to force removal, while individuals had almost no real power at all. By that I mean anyone that dealt with video game music, among other things that have their own Bandcamp or site put together. Given the fact I follow 2 music artists for their views on things, along with enjoy their general music (big label artists are not seriously interesting to me).

It would eventually remove things if pestered enough, but then it would return to the service shortly afterwards. Acting like individual artists had no right to defend their work, asking for it to be taken down and given the cold shoulder. That's similar to so many other things, that I'm sure someone could pull up as a comparison. Also should check Ars for the story, since you can read a lot more that wasn't put here.

What isn't actually covered in the article that has been covered on other sites is, they ended up taking songs and putting them on the service without caring. No permission was cared to be asked in the first place, no license deals or anything so basically it was running the risk of it's own choice.

No kidding. Why learn the facts though when it's so easy to jump on the 'Big record companies are evil' bandwagon, right @Evernessince?

I discovered many new artists thanks to grooveshark. I've enjoyed broadcasts from others, opening my horizon to new genres. I chatted with people about music, people who know music, people who LOVE music. I've brought many albums from artists I wanted to support, yet often found myself listening to them on grooveshark, in endless playlists I would have built on the go, with the inspiration of the moment, chosing from stuff added to my favorites. The ease of use, the simplicity, the choice and the community, that's what made grooveshark unique. And now, it's all gone... RIP Grooveshark, I'll never forget you.

Also, I'll avoid buying any album published by Universal Music, Sony or Warner from now on. HA.

Back