Grooveshark returns after closing its doors just days ago

By Shawn Knight
May 5, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. mysterious grooveshark music riaa streaming shut down streaming music closed resurrected

    Streaming music service Grooveshark shut down late last week, bringing an end to a site that had been ruffling feathers since 2007… or so, we thought. The site has mysteriously been resurrected less than a week after its demise. How so, you ask?

    BGR says it received an e-mail earlier today from someone going by the pseudonym Shark (fitting, right?). This person said they started backing up all of the content on the site when they got a hunch that Grooveshark’s collapse was imminent.

    Shark said his suspicions were confirmed a few days later when the site announced it was shutting down but by that time, he had already backed up 90 percent of its contents (and is working on getting a copy of the remaining 10 percent).

    The new Grooveshark can now be found at although it may not look or function quite how you remember. Shark said his team is working to reproduce the old user interface which includes favorites and playlists.

    When asked how they plan to keep the site online, Shark said they already have the servers and domain infrastructure in place. He admitted it will be a roller coaster but said they’re ready for the ride.

    Grooveshark’s parent company, Escape Media, had been battling with record labels for years but when a judge recently told the company it could be liable for more than $700 million in damages after losing a copyright case, the team elected to shut the site down and walk away free and clear.

    Permalink to story.

  2. insect

    insect TS Evangelist Posts: 349   +132

    What was once on the internet, is always on the internet....
  3. fyrfaktry

    fyrfaktry TS Member Posts: 18

    Stories like this always warm my heart. Revolt! Revolt!
  4. BlueDrake

    BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 378   +112

    Yes lets revolt against those who took them down, because the company totally didn't put themselves in this situation. They legally never gave a care, then pretended to listen and later did a complete 180. Of course why does it matter in the end, people keep fighting to keep sites going. Better to get things free than actually admit, you paid for something in the end right? >>

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...