GT 200 Cards Price Drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

princeton

Hi,
Sorry I know this is my first post and it probably makes the thread look useless but I'm hoping I can get some ideas from the forum members here. So I've built my first PC and I'm Hoping to get a nice GPU for gaming. Here are my specs.

Antec 902 Case
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHZ
Asus P5Q SE Plus Motherboard
OCZ GamexStream 700w PSU

I forget what ram I have exactly but its OCZ 4GB DDR2 1200 ram or something along those lines. Anyway. I need to get a gpu but I am on a budget of around 200 dollars Canadian. So I was wondering. I have been looking at the GTX 260 core 216(they dont have the original GTX 260 in my area) and it is around $50 out of my price range with the tax because it is $229 without taxes. Do you think when the GT 300 cards are released the GT 200 cards will have a price drop?

The GT200 cards will most likely get more expensive as there seems to be very little stock of them available as graphics cards vendors run down their present supply.
If you are dead-set keen on a GT200 then eBay (or other online auction etc) would be your best bet both for second-hand cards and unsold new cards approaching EOL (end of life).
Depending on where you are and if you have the ability to order etail then...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125291
If you owe no particular allegience to the green team then...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103086
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102868
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102868

If you can hold the upgrade until march then a HD 5850 is a very real possibility at your price point.

GT300 won't be out very soon since NVIDIA is having 40nm yield issues, or so says the rumor mill.

It depends on what resolution you'd wanna play at; below 1920x1200, the HD 5770\HD 4870\GTX 260 should be fine. Go for an HD 5850\GTX 275\HD 4890 if you are playing at 1920x1200 (whichever you can better afford; the 5850 is clearly the most powerful of the bunch though).

GT300 won't be out very soon since NVIDIA is having 40nm yield issues, or so says the rumor mill.

It depends on what resolution you'd wanna play at; below 1920x1200, the HD 5770\HD 4870\GTX 260 should be fine. Go for an HD 5850\GTX 275\HD 4890 if you are playing at 1920x1200 (whichever you can better afford; the 5850 is clearly the most powerful of the bunch though).

Ok. I have a 19 inch monitor so the res is 1440 by 900 or something along those lines. I might upgrade to a widescreen 20" with a res of 1680x1050 but thats as high as I will go really. Im acually also looking at a geforce 9800GTX+. Would it be capable of crysis on gamer(high) at 1440x900? Also ati is not a choice for me. I've had bad experiences with ATI cards and none with nvidia cards. Um I know this is a total **** thing to do but I've got a place near me that sells em. Newegg isnt a great choice for me. Crysis isnt gods game but I would hope to be able to use gamer at at least 1280x1024. That should run crysis on gamer with a 9800GTX+ correct?I'm fine with overclocking even it it leads to reduced lifespan.

EDIT:According to crysis benchmarks(here on techspot) the 9800GTX+ gets 36 FPS avarage on gamer(high) in crysis on 1440x900 so do you guys think it would be a good choice. I play valve games alot as well and they arent... Well good graphics. But is the GTX 260 a good pick? I can get the extra 50.bucks

Can't have too much memory buffer!
If the GTX260 is within your grasp then that would be a better all round card. The average framerates might not be significantly higher but the large frame buffer (448 bit v 256 in the 9800GTX+/GTS 250) will mean much better minimum framerates and smoother gameplay.
The Gigabyte GTX260 I linked to in the above post has performance on par with the GTX275
Review here:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1686

Ok.
Does newegg support paypal? Cuz thats possible for me. I'll order from the .ca version. Anyway Ill take a look at the gigbyte cards.

Also. Its a DVI card. I looked at the pics and it seems to have it but. I have the port. Its a trapezoid shape and has 3 rows of 5 pins(VGA). Does it have a converter to this type of port? I know its an older monitor but its all I got ATM.

Um. Im gunna look for a different review. In that one in crysis all the benchmarks for 1280x1024 and 1680x1050 are exactly the same and the one for 1900x1200 is higher than those two. But thanks for all your help guys Im gunna go with the gigabyte GTX 260 216 OC

Can't have too much memory buffer!
If the GTX260 is within your grasp then that would be a better all round card. The average framerates might not be significantly higher but the large frame buffer (448 bit v 256 in the 9800GTX+/GTS 250) will mean much better minimum framerates and smoother gameplay.
The Gigabyte GTX260 I linked to in the above post has performance on par with the GTX275

Oh also. Will it fit in my antec 900 case? Its the 902 model to be exact. GPU sizes arent exactly compact so do you think it will fit?

Should do even though your case is quite compact. The card is standard (for GT200) length at 10.5 inches ( 267mm) - Give your chassis a quick measurement check before buying- though you should be fine.

Should do even though your case is quite compact. The card is standard (for GT200) length at 10.5 inches ( 267mm) - Give your chassis a quick measurement check before buying- though you should be fine.

Ok
I bought it from newegg.ca but it was shipped from new jersey. Will I have to pay duty on it or is that all included in their shipping fees

Probably best to contact newegg. The company doesn't operate or ship to my country. If it's shipping from New Jersey I'd be pleased if it just turned up unaccompanied by drunk NY Jets fans screaming "Show us yer t*ts!"

Probably best to contact newegg. The company doesn't operate or ship to my country. If it's shipping from New Jersey I'd be pleased if it just turned up unaccompanied by drunk NY Jets fans screaming "Show us yer t*ts!"

JAY EEE TEEE SSSSS

JETS! JETS! JETS!

Don't worry they should all be headed to San Diego this weekend :stickout:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back