Hackers use real FBI servers to send fake cyberattack warnings

Jimmy2x

Staff
What just happened? An email warning of a complex cyber attack was recently found to be a hoax carried out using real FBI servers. The Spamhaus Project, an international organization that provides cyber threat support to companies and law enforcement agencies worldwide, identified several thousand emails delivered across multiple waves early Saturday morning. The organization's researchers and analysts believe these messages are only a small part of a larger attack.

The fraudulent messages appeared to be sent from the FBI's Law Enforcement Enterprise Portal using a valid FBI email address. Spamhaus Project analysts verified the origin was indeed from the Bureau's servers, citing both the actual IP used and the email header information included in the message. The fake warning, sent to legitimate addresses taken from the nonprofit American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN) database, is believed to have reached at least 100,000 valid recipients.

While the message did not appear to include a malicious payload, it wasted no time in attempting to frame a prominent cybersecurity expert for the event. Vinny Troia, Ph.D., the founder of the dark web intelligence company Shadowbyte, was named the threat actor behind the fake attack. It's not the first time this type of attack has targeted him. In another recent incident involving the National Center for Missing Children's site, an attacker accessed the site's blog and left a post accusing Troia of being a pedophile.

The FBI released a statement to BleepingComputer indicating that no additional information is available at this time but urges recipients to report suspicious activity when identified.

"The FBI and CISA are aware of the incident this morning involving fake emails from an @ic.fbi.gov email account. This is an ongoing situation and we are not able to provide any additional information at this time. We continue to encourage the public to be cautious of unknown senders and urge you to report suspicious activity to www.ic3.gov or www.cisa.gov."

The attack appears to be one more in a string carried out by an individual (or group) that goes by the name "pompompurin." Screenshots posted to Troia's social media account back his previous claims that he typically receives messages before any attack or attempt to discredit his reputation. In addition to this latest incident, Troia has been the constant target of the RaidForums hacking community, which has conducted several similar attacks in the past to deface websites and damage Troia's credibility.

Image credit: Spamhaus

Permalink to story.

Guess the message wasn't "Woke" enough, so they blamed it on the hackers. :) The FBI isn't one person, it's a huge world wide organization. So this hack doesn't seem implausible.

Like I've said. Death Penalty to cyber criminals, it's the only way.

Bless your heart! You must be late for a protest.
Have some sources:

Anything to justify their budget.

Bonus:

Bless your heart.

Have some sources:

Anything to justify their budget.

Bonus:

Bless your heart.

Dude, Mother Jones? The Guardian? Not helping your case.

Dude, Mother Jones? The Guardian? Not helping your case.
Opinion articles + Buzzfeed too. His sources are really top notch as bastions of objectivity and critical thought.
Have some more:

Straight from the horse's mouth:

"Three FBI agents—all Arabic speakers—began to talk with Smadi, first online and later in person. 'He believed he had found an al Qaeda sleeper cell in the U.S. and that he was now planning the next 9/11 attack,' Petrowski said.

What followed was 10 months of around-the-clock surveillance, until the moment Smadi was arrested—after dialing a cell phone number he believed would detonate a truck bomb. But the bomb—which was made to Smadi’s specifications—was a fake, supplied by our undercover agents."

You can look around, or you can keep your eyes shut tight with your fingers in your ears going, "Lalalalalalala I can't hear you!"

Have some more:

Straight from the horse's mouth:

"Three FBI agents—all Arabic speakers—began to talk with Smadi, first online and later in person. 'He believed he had found an al Qaeda sleeper cell in the U.S. and that he was now planning the next 9/11 attack,' Petrowski said.

What followed was 10 months of around-the-clock surveillance, until the moment Smadi was arrested—after dialing a cell phone number he believed would detonate a truck bomb. But the bomb—which was made to Smadi’s specifications—was a fake, supplied by our undercover agents."

You can look around, or you can keep your eyes shut tight with your fingers in your ears going, "Lalalalalalala I can't hear you!"
It's not sting operations that I have issues with. It's false flag operations. We know damn well they do them. Or at least rogue operators do. The news don't report those. They are co-conspirators.

Sounds like they identified and stopped someone who seriously planned to mass murder people, that’s a good thing.

So this ARIN had a database of emails. So much for data collection. And I'm not even talking about FBI. They got hacked. How am I supposed to trust them now?

Internet is full of fake news. Could you imagine the country without the FBI or Law Enforcement? Sorry, I must not be WOKE enough for some of you. Just look at the crime in cities that host a majority of the 13%, and have disavowed the Police.

Back