Hacktool.Rootkit <-- NEW FILE? "SVKP.sys"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor587

I have a new instance of Hacktool.Rootkit in the file "SVKP.sys" I don't think it will show in my HijackThis log because it was clean before.. Should I remove it (pocket killbox - what checkboxes should be checked) or is there a more lengthy procedure?

Attachments

• New Text Document-1.txt
    9.7 KB · Views: 11
It didn't help (I don't have the processes/files listed) but thanks.

It says that only people with Norton/Symantec are hit.. That's pretty funny because their site has nearly no information on how to remove it.

I guess I should just delete the file and restart?

So basically, it's a "legit" file that's created by anti piracy software on CDs, and symantec detects it as a positive just in case it's hiding a rootkit!?

Thjat's not only really bad in terms of symantec, but that means that the anti-piracy facists are silently intalling software on our machines, which might not be to big a crime from some perspectives, but the software acctaully poses a security risk because it can be exploited by malware writers?

That's just not moral! I hope I've misread that and got it all wrong, because if I didn't it makes me sick!

Well a Macafee user apparantly has it also... thanks for the forum :)

and I've just noticed your reply Spike... I think you should check for it also in your pc, just to see if you do have it.

should I uninstall norton? I have AVG, ewido, ad-aware, microsoft antispyware... and I'll probably look for more options too.

and one last question: how do firewalls conflict with each other?

I'm pleased to say that as expected, I don't have it. I'm not a big fan of this "anti-piracy" rubbish (in it's current form) and so I don't put such stuff on my computer if I can help it. (in much the same way as my HJT log is consistantly quite clean, certainly with no serious nasties - just unesssecary annoyances now and then :))

In terms of uninstalling Norton/symantec, I'd recommend that to ANYONE. You'll quite possibly notice a marked increase in the speed of your computer once you do.

In terms of firewalls conflicting, good question. I just know that they do. The only way I can imagine it (never thought about it before) is that a firewall is a gate on the road into your system. Imagine if you will that the firewall rules are a sentryman on top of the gatetower that decides what can pass through the gate and what can't. By installing a second firewall you are infact putting two sentrymen on top ogf that gate tower, and both have different methods. As a result, they may sometimes disagree on whether they should let something through the gate, or if they both agree that something should pass through, they may both stand on top of the gatetower arguing about why it should be allowed instead of letting it through.

I must say, that this is a complete guess. As I said, I've never thought about it before, but that's the only way I can visualise it and explain it without some research on the subject.

Spike said:
I'm pleased to say that as expected, I don't have it. I'm not a big fan of this "anti-piracy" rubbish (in it's current form) and so I don't put such stuff on my computer if I can help it. (in much the same way as my HJT log is consistantly quite clean, certainly with no serious nasties - just unesssecary annoyances now and then :))

In terms of uninstalling Norton/symantec, I'd recommend that to ANYONE. You'll quite possibly notice a marked increase in the speed of your computer once you do.

In terms of firewalls conflicting, good question. I just know that they do. The only way I can imagine it (never thought about it before) is that a firewall is a gate on the road into your system. Imagine if you will that the firewall rules are a sentryman on top of the gatetower that decides what can pass through the gate and what can't. By installing a second firewall you are infact putting two sentrymen on top ogf that gate tower, and both have different methods. As a result, they may sometimes disagree on whether they should let something through the gate, or if they both agree that something should pass through, they may both stand on top of the gatetower arguing about why it should be allowed instead of letting it through.

I must say, that this is a complete guess. As I said, I've never thought about it before, but that's the only way I can visualise it and explain it without some research on the subject.
What then should I install instead of Norton/symantec antivirus? One computer consultant I spoke with today said to only install the commercial anti-virus version made by Computer Associates and another security consultant said all the consumer level anti-virus products work pretty much the same & it doesn't really matter which one you use.

AVG is the free choice. If you want to pay and get something top-rank, get kaspersky (same price as norton, but infinitely better)

Damn Norton with its fancy marketing... all Norton products market with rebates that destroy the original price, making it very sexy to noobs in computer security. <-- my father lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back