Hard drive beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jephph

Hey hey. I've got a hard drive here that's beeping. It's a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB. It started beeping after a power outtage. The computer was on, and it wasn't plugged into a surge protector (it's not my computer, it's a neighbor's).
So what happens is it freezes at the Gateway screen, and eventually will boot into BIOS after a minute or two. BIOS doesn't detect the drive, and neither will Ultimate Boot Disc. The Gateway screen is only really slow when the HD is plugged into the SATA cable. When it's not plugged into SATA, the screen goes to the BIOS much more quickly. Also, the beep happens when the drive is only plugged into the power supply as well (without the SATA cable)
I know HDs don't usually make beeping sounds, but I took the drive out of the case and had just the power plugged in and put it right up to my ear and it's definitely the HD. You can feel the drive stutter when it makes the beep too. It sounds and feels like it stops spinning for a second when it beeps.
I don't have a SATA enclosure to check it, but I'm pretty sure the drive has been killed, just wanted to check and see if anyone else has experienced this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back