Hard drive detecting 232gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought a new hard drive. I have enabled it in the registry. 'EnableBigLba" set to "1". But when i check the drive capacity its only showing 232gb. My question is that where is the rest of the 18gb gone.

no this is a secondary sata drive that i have installed. I am going to keep back ups on the 250gb hard drive. Nothing is on the hard drive and its detecting 232gb..why?

its prob just less size than it states on the HDD - The other day i bought a 160GB HDD, got it home, set it up and the total size was 149gb. i think every HDD is less that it actually states.

It's the difference between the way Windows defines 1GB and the way hard drive makers define 1GB. There's nothing wrong. Right click on the drive in My Computer or Windows Explorer and click on Properties. You should see the two ways your hard drive capacity is shown, including the full 250GB.

Mail Pup is right this is something that has been going on for year. Windows defines 1GB as 1GB=1024MB, however HDD manufactures define it as 1GB=1000MB. Not that much of a different but when you add it up it cam be.

I have a 320GB SATA Western Digital only shows as being 298GB. It sucks but that is kind of the way it works since like the windows 3.1 days or probably even before that. That was just the first time I actually saw it :).

thats the problem thats why I tell clients to buy under 200 gb
we are all getting cheated with marketing
and if you partition it gets worse
if using for data leave as on drive do not partion
2 is ok but anymore and your just fooling yourself
last yr a bought a maxtor oem (kick myself)lost over 3gbs and its only 80 gb on label
the sn says its from 04 but the label says made in05 and now can not get a RMA for it
maxtor sucks
maybe when seagate finishs with them they will get better
and the box should have the true size after it is read by OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back