Hard Drive - For Mac and PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

merfman

Hi Everyone

I have a Seagate 500GB Free Agent External Hard Drive (similar to this http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/freeagent/freeagent_xtreme/)

Now all the files I have on the external hard drive (mainly work files and work related stuff) were all put on using my PC. I now have a Macbook and I'm able to copy the files off the external hard drive onto the macbook but not the other way around (back onto the hard drive after changing the files/updating them).

Can anyone give me a walkthrough as to how to format the external hard drive, so I'm able to copy from and too the hard drive so I'm able to use if from my Macbook?

Thanks for the help
merfman

At 500GB it is probably a bad idea to format it as FAT32 (best format for compatibility between OSes). So I recommend you get NTFS-3g and MacFUSE to enable NTFS writing in OS X. Be sure and read the manual some because there are 2 different installation types and one is faster but more risky if you don't properly unmount the drive.

Edit: The install isn't as complicated as it used to be - I just installed it on my Powerbook. Turns out you just need to get NTFS-3g and MacFUSE is included in the install. There also doesn't seem to be the 2 different installation types anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back