Hard drive icon has changed. How do I fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I clicked on the my computer icon yesterday and noticed that the icon for one of my hard drives had changed to a different icon. It is the one that is like a piece of paper with the corner folded slightly and has another picture of a screen or whatever. It is the one you get when your computer doesn't know how to read it. It still opens fine but how do I change it to its original icon? I have xp pro.

From HERE

This happens due to any of the following reasons:

1.Presence of the file named Autorun.inf in the Drive's root folder (say C:\ )

2.Uninstallation of a third-party theme or an icon library has failed to remove the drive icon settings in the registry

RESOLUTION

Enable Windows to Show all files(Tools/folder options/view/) and then locate the file Autorun.inf and delete it from the root folder.
Restart Windows.

If that does not help, try this:

Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion \Explorer \DriveIcons \<drive>

Example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer\DriveIcons \C

Backup the key by exporting it as a REG file (right click/export).

After backing up the key, delete the <drive> key from the registry.

Navigate to the following key, backup and delete the <drive> key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \Applications \explorer.exe \ Drives\<drive>

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

go to properties, change icon. Select the one you want or insert the one you want.

Properties don't work here. It just brings up the box for tools, and other things. You can't do that with properties in the my computer folder. I fixed it anyway. I had to open hidden files and delete an autorun file. It worked after I restarted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back