Hard drive performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowman

would i find any increase in overall performance of my computer if i got a faster hard drive? right now i have a 40gb 5200rpm 2mb cache. i was thinking about upping it to an 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache. or would a vid card upgrade be better? i have a 9500 pro.

Both would offer greater (and noticeable) performance, but you need to think about where you need it the most.

If you need more game performance, then by all means get a video card.

If your system is feeling sluggish, a faster hard disk will make a good difference. Make sure you do it right though... Get a good one. The larger you get (generally speaking), the faster it is. www.storagereview.com

A 9500 Pro is still a very reasonable beast of a video card, better in most games than its replacement the 9600pro, and unless you are playing games at 1280x1024 or above with Anti Aliasing enabled then there isn't a particularly good reason to upgrade your video card. Personally, I would wait untill the next generation of Video cards come out, and see what they are like, even if you don't want one, you may be able to pick up a bargain on an "older" generation card.

As far as faster hard drives are concerned, 7200rpm drives with 8mb cache can be noticably quicker in some circumstances, and it may be wise to think about migrating to Serial-ATA drives now, as it is likely that standard IDE will become a legacy interface, when BTX form factor boards come out later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back