Hard drive problem

Deso

Update* + spelling corrections > . <
the hard rive is from western digital, I downloaded their software thinking maybe there is a partition on the hard drive that windows disk manager cant see, so I tried to format it with WD's software which failed with the error "The drive size is not supported", after this I went into disk manager again and saw a 80 GB unallocated space on the hard drive. This was not there before......, I deleted the 850 GB volume and I'm now formatting with full 931 GB with windows. (WD's software still reports invalid drive size). Might it be safe to store data on the drive again?
Update*

My hard drive started to give me "Warning folder corrupted" warnings, so I ran a chkdsk, which fixed a lot of problems on the hard drive.
Unfortunately it made ALL the data on the hard drive scattered and unreadable.
This was a 1 TB hard drive so I lost about 800 GB of data I had saved on it.

After the chkdsk had fixed all the errors it found ( I only ran chkdsk /f and not /r by misstake), I began to transfer files to it again.
The day after, the problems appeared again. I ran another chkdsk with /r, which ran for 4 hours and fixed 1000+ errors. When it was done my 931 GB hard drive now reports maximum storage as 850 GB. My guess is that chkdsk made the bad sectors unavailable.

Should I just give up on this disk?
Can I once again store files on it?
Can I regain 931 GB maximum storage?

I really hit a wall with this one, I usually find all info myself through help of google.
But whatever terms I search I just get result of people wondering why they only got 931 GB out of their 1 TB drive.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Should I just give up on this disk?
I would. If you've already done a full (not quick) format and you still have errors and if it is still under warranty, I would try to RMA it back to WD.

I would. If you've already done a full (not quick) format and you still have errors and if it is still under warranty, I would try to RMA it back to WD.

I have not done a full format yet.
The drives warranty have expired. :/

Back