Hard drive setup for a beast of a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tritton

I am planning/building a computer that will cost over £4000 ($5,776).
I lately I been reading a lot of posts on the forums about hard drives/Raid etc what has got me re-thinking me hard drive set up

To start I have a GS1000 (black) for my case.
Now the main thing I want is speed (for a lease the hard drive with OS) but speed all round is good. My first thoughts was to have 6 of the following http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?WD-3000GLF

Ok let me exspand I want 1 hard that will have OS/programmes on
one that will have lots of media
and one that I will parition the help out of and will have a lot of VM's on it
then they will all be backed up either by Raid 1 or I would ghost them like once a month etc

another idea I had was to have this little beasts click me as my main drive then have one of theWD VR as my 'VM' drive and a 1TB hard for my media and have it all backed up on one 2TB drive

Now when it comes to SSD I need to confirm that I will be able to fit it in my dray bays (even if I have to get a converter) I have ask Zalman if this is possible but they haven't got back yet

Raid 1
If I have two of the same drive (same size as well) will Raid 1 mean that it does a complete copy of the first drive. and do I need any exspantion cards for Raid

just a note the MoBo will be the Rampage 2 exstream
I hope I have made sense thanks for any imput

update-after making this post on other tech fourms

Well SDD in general has gain an increaded amount of interest and the 1TB Samsung F1 is differanty in there as an option

LOL, with that budget, I recommend any of these cases.

And as far as drives are concerned, grab two 128GB Intel X25-M SSDs and RAID them. Use them for your OS and games. For other stuff, I recommend two WD1001FALS drives in RAID.

And you can go for a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3P or the ASUS P6T instead of the ultra-expensive Rampage II Extreme that performs exactly the same as the cheaper boards. You can spend the cash you save on a good speaker system or something else.

Mind posting the complete specs of the system you intend to build? We can give you specific recommendations as to what to buy best.

OK well I'm not changing case part because I already have it and it is a great case
I'm sticking with the Rampage II Extreme

As for the rest of the spec's
i7 965
Rampage II Extreme
RAM 12GB -haven't sorted that out but I will want the best
XFX GTX295 (1to start to start with may get a 2nd at a later date)
LG Blu-ray Rewriter GGW-H20L DVD-/+RW HD DVD ROM Black SATA (and a bacis DVD player)
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series (PCI-Express) - Retail
Fan controller
A wireless NIC was thinking Netgear Rangermax Next PCI Card
RAID controller
Water cooling is what I would like but haven't found any that supprt the parts I want

See what other have had to say
http://forum.novatech.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8250
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=353344&forumid=2

Looking at the layout of the motherboard, it appears to me that to install a second graphics card with the other expansion cards you listed, the second card would have to go on the bottom (third) PCI-E x16 slot. I guess you can run SLI that way since the slots are configurable in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back