Hard drive space disappered

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_k1988

in my system i have 2 hard drives. A 40gb (my main one, for windows, various programs, games etc.) and a 80g (for all my other stuff basically). My computer has been running a little slow recently so i went 2 check on how much space i had left(on the 40gb, i;m jsut tlking bout the 40gb here nothing to do wit the other), and it said i had only 5.36gb left. I went to go and delete some files to give myself more room but couldnt find anything that would take up that much room. I then opened up my c: drive, highlighted all taht was there (i can see hidden files as well) an hit right click, then properties, to check how much it all used, just to be safe. But according to it, all the stuff that was on my c: only amounted to 24gb , but accroding to the bit in "my computer" i have only 5gb left. Anyone know where 10gb of my data has gone? lol thanx

p.s. i have windows xp pro

Hmm....I had a problem like this a while ago....I had a 200 gig and a 120 gig...

The problem for me:

My Mobo didnt support drives over 40 gigs(awesome mobo ;) ) ...(your mobo is limiting size of hd to 30 gigs...)

So...solution. Use partition software to partition the part of your had disk not being shown by Windows.

Hope this helps. :D

ino its been a while

how should i go about doing that. i Got partitons software but when i open it up it gives details about the drive (c:). In teh software it says the drive capacity is 38gb and i have used 28g and have 8gb free (should have 10g if that wos correct) but when i open up my computer/c: and highlight all teh fiels there it only amounts to 22gb :confused: what should i do

You probably have loads of Restore Points. If your system is stable otherwise, switch off System Restore, reboot, switch it back on and immediately switch System Restore back on.
Next, delete ALL files and directories in c:\documents & Settings\[user-name]\local settings\Temp.
Next, go to Start/Search/Files and Folders and look for any files with *.cpy including subdirectories.
Delete them if they are there (could be quite a few).
Next, clean your Recycle Bin.

Howzat? :grinthumb

thanx

cheers m8, that helped. i;m up to 13gb now. still missing 3g but thats kl i'll worry about that later. An if worst comes to worst i'll dive in2 glasgow (a place in scottyland which i live right enxt to) and grab a cheap hard drive if i need it lol can always get stuff for cheap in there (although u dont know how they got it :unch: lol)

thanx alot RBS

Surely you have heard about all that stuff that keeps falling off the back of a lorry!
Some truck-drivers are plain careless when they go around a corner too fast LOL.

lorrys

lol yup, and theres always some wee guy there ready to catch it :D And then he dont have a clue what it is so he sells it for £20 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back