Hard Drive taking long time to load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie_42

Hello,

I recently built a computer. I made it out of the spare parts ive had from upgrades. Pretty nice since it was free and now i can have 2 computers. Unfortunately, even after a fresh install of windows, my HDD seems to not want to work.

It is a western digital 7200rpm 80GB IDE, pretty standard run of the mill. The MB is a MSI kt3 Ultra, 1gb Kingston ram. When booting the BIOS will instantly recognize the optical drive, but will take about 1 minute to find the HDD. It does find it and posts (beep). It then goes to the windows splash screen. From here, it take over 60 laps of the little bar to load. (yes, i counted). Once loaded everything runs fine as far as applications, games, Mozilla. and it shuts down quickly.

I have run the BIOS driver from the disk that came with the MB and still no change.

I have 1 optical drive and the HDD, they are both connected through their own IDE cable, and both set as Masters.

Any suggestions of how to fix this, its not a crisis, but kind of annoying.

Older HDD could be going bad or it badly defragmented. You should defrag it though after a fresh install. Check for errors in the MFT. Under My computer right click on the HDD then click on properties then on tools then on check disk. Reboot the PC and let the PC check the condition of the HDD. If that checks out okay then open a dos window in Windows then

click on start
click on run
type: cmd
type: defrag c: /f

I dont think its a defrag issue, this install happend 2 days ago, off a fresh format. Shouldnt that start with an clean un-fragmented drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back