Hardware failure?

M.Timbers

Thanks in advance for a source of terrific knowledge. First, I encountered the "blue screen of death." During the process of "safe mode".., etc. and after trying F8 F12 and Delete buttons, which I should not have done, I was left unable to boot at all and thought for sure that the hard drive was corrupted. I took the hard drive out and using adapter tools on my spare computer, recovered all on that hard drive. I saw no evidence of corruption.

I put the drive back in my problem computer, and have since been unable to get passed the following screen:

"a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps. Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your harddrive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

Technical information: "***STOP: 0X000000 7B (0xXF78D2524, OxC0000034, Ox00000000, Qx00000000"

In my attempt to "auto detect" hard drive, it fails to identify it. All that is currently recognized on the problem computer is my CD ROM and floppy. At this point I suspect I have a hardware failure since the drive is not recognized. I put another drive in that computer and that is not recognized, as well. If this is a hardware failure, how can I identify what piece of hardware is the problem? Can you direct me to step-by-step procedures?

memtest1.70 does not run beyond an initial screen showing mostly zeros. As I am sure you can see, I am not as averse as the people on this forum, just someone who is learning and someone who respects your knownledge.

Memtest86 is up to version 4.20. So the bios doesn't detect any hard drive? What about date and time? Are they correct?

Yes, the date and time are correct.

Yes, the bios does not detect any hard drive. When I hit "auto detect", it pauses as if thinking and returns with no change.

It is a sata drive. How do I enable it? This is my problem.., I messed with the screens and not sure how to get them to "normal". Not knowing that much, maybe this is causing the problems where the drive is not recognized? I know now I was over my head in messing with screens without being well versed. I just seemed to get deeper and deeper until it ended like this.

Well you should see something like Hard Drive Controller enabled, IDE, AHCI or RAID where you do the "auto detect" hard drive stuff. You shouldn't have to change the "auto" settings at all

After reading your last post, I'm not sure what I did, but it now recognizes the hard drive and ran CHKDSK /F. It completed by stating "could not locate the hive file."

Running XP Pro in Normal Mode, came to a blue screen that gave the following:

STOP: C 000218 registy file failure, The registry cannot load the hive (file)

\system root\system32\config\software or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent or not writeable.

Beginning dump of physical memory.

Dumping physcal memory to disk.

Now it will noy recognize the CD ROM. I made it #1 boot.., it flashes as if it will load and then goes to OS choices screen.

Thank you so much Tmagic650. I just did a parallel install and will do a fresh install ASAP. I had the drivers backed up and I should be ok now. I KNEW this was the place for help and you saved me so much grief. I'm new here so please tell me if I can acknowledge you help in some way. I would surely like to.

Problem solved. No hardware failure.., thanks to this terrific site.

Back