Hardware Prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrEoZ

hi there..

i'm desperate.. i couldn't fix the prob myself so i'm turning to u!

i got a Geforce MX440.
installing it was not hard and i didn't have any probs with it.
after i installed the card i noticed that when i open my pc for the first time (not reboot / reset etc) my bios fails to detect my 2 cdroms!

i also noticed that the cds have power (the light blinks) but instead of 'disappearing' it continues to light as if the cd is not responding!

i tried various things to fix it... i disabled one of the cds, switched cables and some other stuff -> none helped...

after i removed my gfx card to test if it was the cause, my pc worked with the onboard card and had no probs..

so.. plz help me fix this proggie! is there any switch i need to set? is there a jumper i need to install?

these are my pc specs:
----------------------------

P4 1.8Ghz
256Mb 266Mhz DDR
40Gb
CDROM - Samsung SC-148 IDE
CDRW - NEC NR9100 40/10/40 IDE
Geforce MX 440 8X AGP
Intel motherboard (82845G/GL - that's why i use only 4X agp with my card)

plz help.. thanks

your problem is probably caused by a conflict between your AGP card and your onboard video you need to disable the onboard video in the bios or in device manager if your going to use the AGP card.

Is there a jumper on the system board to disable the onboard video?

So does your computer boot when you have the AGP card installed? I presume no since the CDROMs just continue to be lit, they probably click as if trying to read a disk too right?

Try clearing your CMOS, by shorting a jumper on your system board and removing the circular battery.

hi..

thanks for trying to help..!

the prob might be a power supply prob from what i'm told.
i have a 250W power supply and the inno3d company (geforce manufacturer) recommends at least 350W.

also.. i'm using an intel 82845G/GL motherboard which is quite new. i have this pc for no more than 6 months!

the motherboard disabled the onboard card automatically when i installed the new AGP card.

the card is working and the pc too.. the only annoying thing is that i can't power up my pc properly.

i also thought there might be a conflict between the AGP and onboard card but since it's disabled and totally removed from windows i see no reason why there should be one.

also, there are no IRQ conflicts - i checked and changed the settings.

Is there a jumper on the system board to disable the onboard video?

So does your computer boot when you have the AGP card installed? I presume no since the CDROMs just continue to be lit, they probably click as if trying to read a disk too right?

Try clearing your CMOS, by shorting a jumper on your system board and removing the circular battery.

no m8.. i didn't see any jumper.. yet.
the dell bios option are limited.. if i could only have more options..
also.. what do u mean by 'clearing my CMOS,by shorting a jumper on your system board and removing the circular battery'

i don't know what jumper u r talking about..

the computer works fine and boots perfectly after i manually reset the pc after the first boot.
the card is working and i'm able to play games...
not once did winxp crash or report a prob..

listen, i have a 5 year experience with pcs and i must tell u i have never experienced a prob lik this.

Dell Pc's usually ship with what many consider "underpowered" PSU's. but Dell does use good quality PSU's they just tend to use one that is just enough for the system they build.

I hope you are aware that you cannot go out and purchase just any brand PSU for a Dell. Dell uses proprietary connectors with the Psu and motherboard. your only optionin upgrading is trying to buy more powerful PSU from Dell or better yet buy a PC power and cooling 300Watt whichis made for Dell's. that is what I did with my 733 dell a couple of years ago.

here is the link to the PSU

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance/turbocools/index_hp_atx.htm

PC power& cooling now carries two Dell comapaitable PSU's a 275 watt and a 300watt.

one other thing about the onboard video being automatically disabled.

I have a Intel 850EMV2 board the first time I set up the computer the Bios automatically disabled the onboard sound when I installed the Santa cruz sound card I have. however when I installed a new hard drive and formatted I found I had sound problems. looking in the bios I found that the onboard sound was not disabled, soon as I disabled it no more sound problems.

Originally posted by iss
one other thing about the onboard video being automatically disabled.

I have a Intel 850EMV2 board the first time I set up the computer the Bios automatically disabled the onboard sound when I installed the Santa cruz sound card I have. however when I installed a new hard drive and formatted I found I had sound problems. looking in the bios I found that the onboard sound was not disabled, soon as I disabled it no more sound problems.

hey m8..

i check @ bios again and the pc loads video from 'agp only' - so i guess that the onboard videa has been disabled.

about the PSU - u think that might be the reason?

i think what i'll do i call their support and tell them about the prob. if they'll need to replace anything, i might have to pay for it but i might not have to since it's their responsibility - as it's a prob with their pc.

i just want to know before i call up their support if the prob is for sure with the PSU and if there's nothing i can do about it..

Dell warranties their Pc's only as long as it is in the configuration in which it was shipped. they have no obligation to do anything about it not working right with a AGP card in it when it was shipped with onboard video.

that said they may still help you out but dont expect them to replace anything because it doesnt work with a AGP card.

the above also applies to any additional hard drives you have added.

Originally posted by iss
Dell warranties their Pc's only as long as it is in the configuration in which it was shipped. they have no obligation to do anything about it not working right with a AGP card in it when it was shipped with onboard video.

that said they may still help you out but dont expect them to replace anything because it doesnt work with a AGP card.

the above also applies to any additional hard drives you have added.

if they need to replace or let's say they find that this is the prob (the PSU) could they replace it for me (of course i'll pay) so that i'll get a dell supported PSU?

also.. do u think it's the PSU?

if it comes to a question of needing to replace something FIRST Dell will insist that the computer be in the configuration it was shipped in. any video cards or hard drives you have added will have to be removed.

if the computer funcions normally in the original configuration Dell will not replace anythiing. now, IF Dell has more powerful PSU's then they would probably be happy to sell you one but be prepared to pay thru the nose for it.

thanks..

i'll talk to them.. and yes the pc works fine without the gfx card in there.. i just need to know what the prob is..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back