Have i cooked my Graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I came across this site looking for a solutio to a problem im having, i was wondering if anyone might have a clue whats gone on?

Im not that great with technical computer stuff but i do know a few things.

Firtstly my computer is a Gaming computer from Rock - QT 64 which i love, the specs are:

AMD TURIAN 64 MOBILE, MT- 40
2.19GHZ
1 GB RAM
GRAPHICS: ATI MOBILITY X700

My problem is that ever so recently its been over heating big time, but i cant send to the manufactuer untill i have finished my coursework (im in the final year of my degree with 3 weeks to go!!!).

Anyhow apart from overheating ive not had anyother problems untill now, my start up screen is pixelated and its seems like it has to reboot a few times t cinfigure itself?!?!? but it takes longer and longer each time now, secondly its very slow at internet and word (what i mean by this is by scrolling the scroll bar it jumps alot and isnt smooth).

Finally and my most significant find, which kinda bugged me alot is, i play sims 2 with all expansion pack - runs like a dream no problemo. I havent played for a while cos ive been too busy but i tried to put it on lastnight as i wanted to treat myself to a well earned break but it came up saying:

Failed to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system.please make sure you have directx9.0c compatible adapter and have installed the latest driver etc.

Well as i said i have not installed or uninstalled anything since i last played when it worked fine. Is it a ossibility that this overheating has cooked my card?

when i say overheating its quite bad, like its expanded the plastic on the bottom of the laptop so it has popped out of its clips!

any advice would be apreciated, i know the best thing is too send it back to be fixed which i will do when i can spare it in a few weeks, but any ideas about y this happend would make me feel better!!

thanks guys!

If it is under warranty, copy off anything critical/personal and then send it in for warranty repair.

If it is OUT of warranty, be prepared to spend as much as a new one would cost to repair it. You have MAJOR damage/problems.

:(

As to the 'why' a lot depends on how and where you use it. If it is used in a fashion that blocks the cooling vents, that will help overheat it. If it is used in an excessively dusty, smokey environment, that will add to the crud on the internal cooling fins and fan blades and help overheat it.

That specific laptop isn't known as an overheater (some tales about it BUT primarilly unsubstantiated) so unless you just happened across a 'lemon' my first causes would be more likely.

:)

hmmmm well i use it on a flat surface most of the time if its not completly flat on accasions i always ensure the fan is not covered, but its mostly on uni tables or my desk. No one in my house smokes so it cant be that.

Thanks for the advice, its def going back as soon as my last bit off work is in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back