Having a router problem since I changed ISPs, Only one comptuer connects now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family computer and personal computer had been able to both access the internet for about two years while I was connected to SBC global, but when I changed my ISP to Earthlink about a month back, only the family computer continues to connect. I did not change any of the hardware settings from the time i discontinued SBC and started Earthlink.

Now, I tried to tinker around with the IP config, and my router setup (trying to follow sites such as this) and I'm getting nowhere. I tried to reconnect and disconnect the plugs, I restarted computers, I tried to make bridges, connections, one thing i might mention is when I am running command on my personal comptuer and type ipconfig/renew It gives me an error.

I realize I may have left out information, I am not completely clear as to what I need to put, but if you direct me on the information to give, i will be able to retrive it. Help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

What router do you have?

It sounds like you don't have a DHCP server running and you might be just using the router as a switch.

If you do an ipconfig on the working computer, is the address something like 10.0.x.x or 192.168.x.x? Or is it something else?

My router is a linksys model nr041

You may be right, since the DNS suffix area is blank when i run ipconfig,
only 3 ips show in all,

Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
ip Address: 192.168.x.x
Subnet Mask 255.255.x.x
Default Gateway: 192.168.x.x

just like that (well minus the "x" i wasnt sure if i'm supposed to show those numbers)
Is there a way i can fix it from being a "switch" to being well.. a way for me to access the internet from both computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back