Having problems with connecting anything as slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, Hello all, this is a great site, already found a few things for friends on here that came to great use.

Here is my problem:

About 3 months ago I trashed my old Gateway and bought parts and put together my own rig. Everything works perfectly fine except the Dvd drive that I ordered at that time didn't work right. I tried everything that I could think of but I believe that it was a defective one. I contacted the site that I bought it from and they told me to open up the back edges of it to see if there was any loose parts or to see if the track was set wrong. I did that and it seemed fine, so I tried to return it but then the same people said that I couldn't because I opened it. :suspiciou

So what I did is take my cd burner out of my old computer and put it into my new rig and it worked just fine. Yesterday I went and bought a new dvd drive and attempted to plug it in. After I installed it and turned on my computer it will not read anything. The light blinks and power is going through it but no cds will go active when in it. If I click on the drive it says to insert a disk.

So to try something else. I set my cd drive to slave, and my dvd drive to master and turned it back on. Now it works perfectly fine but my cd drve does not, so I know that it is not the dvd drive, and not the ribbon cable, but something is going wrong with setting them to slave. I tried going to my motherboard's website and downloading new drivers but that did not fix the problem. I would rather not take it down to the local computer place and pay $80 for them to do something simple ;) Any advice would be great, and thanks for your time.

Computer Specs:
Intel P4 CPU 2.4 GHz
2.39 GHz, 512 RAM
Motherboard: AX4SPE Series (AOpen) Intel 865PE Chipset
DvD Driver: LITEON DVD-ROM Drive with ATAPI/E-IDE Interface.

Also, the two drives are connected with one ribbon cable, this is connected to the primary IDE slot on the motherboard. I was thinking of buying another cable and connecting them separately but I didn't think that was the problem and wanted to get advice first.

zephead said:
can each drive be used seperately? don't forget those jumpers!

Yes, each one can be used seperately. When I connect both though, and set one to master and one to slave the one that is set as slave does not work.

I just tried setting them both to cable select and when I do that, the cd burner will read stuff again but the dvd drive won't. :(

The way I read it nothing worked on the middle connector on the ribbon. If so dodgy cable.
If you're using SATA for your hard drive then why not set up both the opticals as masters on the two IDE channels?

I must have mixed up the info. All of the connectors on the ribbon cable work. I tried setting both opticals to master and that makes only the cd burner work. Should I try getting another IDE cable and connecting it to the secondary port on the motherboard and using that singular for one of the opticals?

I suggested (maybe it was my turn to be unclear :) ) that they were set on seperate IDE channels. Are you using 40 or 80 wire ribbons? Although I don't think this is crucial with opticals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back