Having trouble taking mobo screw out

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mobo needs to be replaced (at least, that's the most likely culprit to my computer not working, attested by 2 people who've looked at it) and I've stripped the screw closest to the power supply. It's an MSI Master2Far on an Antec case. The case can only be opened on one side, which certainly doesn't help matters.

I think my only option now is to drill the screw out. How do I go about doing this while minimizing damage? I think if I were to damage anything, it should be the case since I saw it at CompUSA for $80. I believe the mobo is about $200...and I doubt that MSI will replace it if it's got lots of damage to it. :p

Thanks for any help!

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Have you removed all the other mounting screws?
Sometimes I get lucky and it unscrews the standoff out of the mounting hole.
Then it's a matter of a pair of pliers and screwdriver. If this is not the case, then, try using a pair of needle nose piers, pull up firmly and turn anticlock wise til it comes out. Doing it this way, it sometimes helps to lift the MoBo in that corner, gently, while attempting this.

Best of Luck!!!

That's the reason why I always spend a bit more money and buy a case, that has a removable tray for mounting the motherboard on.

Check your case, it might have a tray as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back