HD 5770 Crossfire problem

Hi' I have 2 Radeon HD 5770, but most of the time i only use one of them. because it feels like the games run better and smoother when not using crossfire

Anyone having the same problem, or know whats wrong?

My Spec:
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-790xta-UD4
Graphic interface - 2x Radeon HD 5770
Memory - 4 gb DDR3 (1333 MHz i think)
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945
CPU Speed - 3013,4 MHz
Power Supply Make/Model - Corsair TX850W
Watt output/Amperage - +12V 70A 850W

I dont run crossfire, i do run sli however.

Do you use a program to measure your framerates while playing games? Do you see an improvement in framerates while playing in xfire over single card ?

Games must be coded to take advantage of xfire or sli setups, Some games dont and will perform worse in xfire as a result. ( less fps)

If your seeing a major improvement in fps, but it still feels laggy when using xfire you may have a problem called microstutter.

In short, be sure your gpu drivers are up to date. and the game you are running supports xfire.

I have tested it in Battlefield 3. without crossfire around 55 fps and with crossfire its the same, but it feels worse and i have the latest drivers.

Strange...you should be able to see a diffrence when running bf3 in xfire, i see nearly a 50% increase in framerates in sli.

Do you use an in game monitor like evga precision to show gpu usage in real time as the game is running?

Im pretty sure evga precision wont work for ati, but i heard a program called Msi afterburner is very similar.

okay. i downloaded msi afterburner and went into battlefield 3 single player, set the video settings to "uiltra". without crossfire i got around 20 fps and with crossfire i got 34. but when playing multiplayer i need to play on low before the game feels totally smooth(with or without crossfire).

You said you usually use only one of the 5770's. Are making sure to re-enable Crossfire?
Try re-anabling crossfire through catalyst and then restarting . I would also do what Fimbles suggested and using MSI Afterburner to log GPU activity to make sure both cards are active. Also make sure your CF bridge is seated and maybe try a different bridge to start.

*****never mind, I was typing at the same time you were apparently*****

I run dual 5770`s. In BF3 1080p, High-Ultra texture settings. MSAA off, Post AA on high. i get around 60-80 FPS on Caspian border. With a single 5770 performance is roughly half that.

If you play with MSAA you take a HUGE performance hit. Play around with ATI drivers and find the best one for you. Also experiment and try it with and without CAPS installed. I find 11.11a the best performance wise but they have a flicker glitch when i use Firefox. I dont have CAPS installed.

Also you want to use driversweeper after every uninstall to truely avoid any driver conflicts. When i dont use driversweeper on my ATI drivers i get massive micro-stutters.

Back