HD Partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronobono

Hi..I have a 300 gb HD and im wondering if theres a way to make about half the space on it for me to save stuff on so it wont erase when i restore my OS.. I sometimes just do a clean install of XP or Vista ect and it deletes all my files (i know thats the point) but im wondering if i can make a large part of my HD to just saves like games pics etc on so that when i do a clean install those files wont be messed with..Im pretty sure thats what partions are for but not really sure? Can someone tell me how i would make a partion that would be around 100gb just for my extra files and the rest of the space for the OS. Sorry if this is confusing..not really sure how to put what i mean into words. Thanks

Not confusing at all and this is something that can be done within Windows! It can also be done with a 3rd party disk partitioning program such as Acronis Disk Director. Anyhow, Microsoft incorporated this feature into Windows for exactly the reason you stated. You divide your hard into partitions and put your Windows system on one and your files on the other(s) This way, it isolates and protects your files from a Windows system corruption.

Repost if you want to use the Windows built-in partitioning feature (more manual and difficult) or buy Acronis Disk Director which costs money but is easier.

-- Andy

ok thanks for the reply..Im gonna try the program you recommended. If i cant figure it out that way ill repost. :grinthumb

You won't have a problem with Acronis. They make great software! It's easy to understand and follow with great help documentation. I highly recommend their programs.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back