HD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamenNoodles

Hey all,

I just recently built a new rig. (Core 2 Duo E6600, nVidia 8800GTS, 2GB OCZ DDR2 ram, Mushkin 550W PSU, Gigabyte Mobo, and a 200GB Western Digital HD)

I bought Windows Media Center Edition for my rig, and I installed it and all that jazz, I installed the OS on the mini 4GB drive (which is where the OS is supposed to be saved) inside of my 200GB Drive and now all my program files and documents are being saved onto the smaller drive as well. Im getting all these alerts telling me im running out of space and when I go to download some like a spyware prog or Install a game, it wont let me because everything is being directed to that mini HD with no more space on it.

My main question is, is there a way for me to switch those two drives around making to save everything onto the 196GB drive instead of the 4GB drive (C Drive)?

Much Thanks in Advance,

Shayne - RamenNoodles

tell us first this 4gb drive is it part of the WD 200 gb drive as a partition
or a seperate drive

yes you can migrate your OS to the 200gb drive, if it is seperate drive
download seagate disc wizard
create a 10gb partition on the 200gb drive if you have no data on it
otherwise you will need a disk manager like acronis to make a partition without deleting data
once this is done
use disc wizard to copy os to the new partition
remove drive replace with 200gb as master jumper settings
bobs yer uncle

one reason your getting this error is your pagefile size and when adding programs you should be able to tell the installer where you want them to go
IE: on the D drive

I have a 9 gb partiton going for 2 years now still shows 4gb free

Im guessing that its a partition because they are all on the HD. But they show up as two seperate Drives; Drive C(196GB) and Drive D (4GB). I just changed where the Downloads from mozilla go and they still are being saved to the smaller drive because thats where the program files are located. I even tried to just drag the Program Files folder over into drive C and that worked. But things are still going over to Drive D. I just want Windows on Drive D and nothing else. Drive C for everything else, games, DL's, pics, etc.

I just dont understand why the hell this happening. Maybe I should just reinstall Windows and make everything onto the main drive and not use the smaller drive at all??

If you installed Windows on the 4GB drive again, then you'll just have the same problem later on down the road again. :(

The easiest way to fix your problem is to use something like Partition Expert or Partition Magic. They can resize your partition without data loss (well, more often than not, anyway. ;)).

Hopefully, during formatting, you changed the partition scheme. 4GB is not enough room for XP to 'breathe', even if you are installing applications on a different drive. I'd go for at least 5 if you know absolutely everything will be installed on the other partition. I'd probably give it 10GB just to not worry about it, since 10 versus 200 is chump change... And it would give you some flexibility in the future for upgrades to Vista etc..

don't need to use the default (program files)folder
just play with yer dwnlds a little ,you can even make folder on the fly
example
my software dwnlds
are broken into groups
like burning apps office apps
these zip files or exe's file are called setup files
I make a folder with name burnit.setup or burnit_setup
the zip /exe goes here
when I install that program I have another set of folders
the run folders these programs installs go there
there are some ecceptions like the mighty MS stuff all has to go on C