HD Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running a RAID 1 (Security/Mirror) drive for a few days. Everything worked well until one day... one of the hard drives was not working properly giving me a CRITICAL warning. I disonnected each HD to determine the problem child. I used Maxtor's repair disc... it did find some sectors that were bad and repaired them. I still can not get the HD back up and mirrored. I attempt to mirror it and it gets to 6% and says... Replace defective HD. I installed an identical brand new HD and get the same thing. I replaced the red wire and the power wire...no luck. My computer runs fine without it...but I like the security. What should I do next....? There are two more tests I can do on the first HD... Low or Slow burn. But the program said it had passed every test. Am I missing a setting in my bios? Should I have plug the two HD's in the SATA 1 & 2 slot instead of the RAID 1 & 2?

:giddy: Problem Update: I installed the suspect HD in RAID 1 port. I was able to load XP on it and it worked fine. I'm confused at what the problem may be. I will attempt to erase it and have it mirror again.

:eek: Problem Update: I did a quick erase using the maxtor program.. It places zeros in the first 300mg and last 100mg. I installed the HD into RAID 2 postion...ctl-f then selected restore. The computer gave a message that the last restore was not finished and it would finish it. At 6% again... a message stated that I should replace the defective HD. I don't understand how it could be defective...if it can run xp..by its self. Am I missing something in the setup? BIOS? 4 Feb 06 // 12:41pm.

Any assitance is appreciated, my son is waiting to use the beast for school video editing.

My goal has been to have two HD's with mirror and an additional HD for my son to store his video editing on. Each HD is a Maxtor 300GB SATA.

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 3200 + Socket 939 CPU
Motherboard:
A8V Deluxe
Memory:
DDRAM 4x512 MG GEL
Cooling:
Freezer 64
Videocard:
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MG
Soundcard/Speakers:
Kilpsch Speakers