HD ribbon cable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

HD ribbon cable ?

I had my HD and CD-ROM connected to the same ribbon cable.

I disconnected the CD-ROM from the cable and connected a "slave" HD which was detected.

Then I disconnected the "slave" but didn't plug the cable back into my CD-ROM and the computer can't find HD. Plug it in to CD-ROM and it does.

I would like to leave the second connection free to add the "slave" temporarily and hook the CD-ROM to the second controller.

What do I need to do to accomplish same? And for my info, why does the CD-ROM have to be connected before the system sees the HD?

double check the hard drive jumper settings and make sure that the hard drive is set to master it sounds like the CD was set to master.

The HD is a Champ C2000-3AF and the jumper settings are Master (Default), Master w/Slave, Slave and Cable select.

I have it set to Master.

You should set the master HD jumper to master with slave and the slave HD to slave. CD-ROM should be set to slave or CS, so you don't have to change jumpers later.

You should set all IDE device detection in BIOS to Auto.

If you are using 80-wire cable, then it is important which plug goes where. Blue goes to mobo, black is master and gray is slave.

The problem is weird, could be just a loose connector.

Here's my latest try.

Went into setup and set Primary & Secondary master & slave on Auto.

Add a second cable to the Secondary controller and connected to CD-ROM.

Connected the end of the cable to the HD from the Primary controller.

No boot, The message I get is "Disk boot failure".

Originally posted by thewolfe
I would like to leave the second connection free to add the "slave" temporarily and hook the CD-ROM to the second controller.

To accomplish that, you'll have to set the primary drive as Master(default) and not as Master w/slave present.
Then you'll be able to boot...

When you want to add the slave, you'll have to change the primary harddrive to Master w/slave present...

Kind of a hassle, but thats what you'll need to do...

(unless you just add the second hdd to the secondary controller as slave (with CD-ROM as master)... CD-rom's don't care if it's master with or without slave :))

Hope this helps, if not, I'll try to clarify it...

BTW: when you changed the IDE ribbon, you did put the blue end into the motherboard?!?

My problem with that is I can't get the master HD to run unless the rest of the cable is connected to the CD-ROM.

Well....
All drives on "Auto"
The HD on main controller
CDR set as master on second controller

And bootup it did!

Thought I'd tried that combo before but I guess not.

I did try to go into the Setup each time I changed something.

Thanks for the input. We did it.

Now on to the next adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back