HDD problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I left my computer for about an hour with a few applications running, when I returned I was prompted for a boot device. I've had the computer for over a year now and I have never seen this before.

After rebooting it took around 10-15 minutes for windows to load, then when it booted up it was very slow/choppy, applications loaded in around the same time I guess, but my cursor was pausing every few seconds and sounds were skipping from any application.

I checkd eventviewer and noticed these errors:
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

So far I have ran a chkdsk but nothing has changed, the slowdowns are occuring randomly but usually when I run a new application.

Im not entirely sure what to do as I haven't changed anything recently, thanks for any help.

Hard drives can fail at any time...

But you didn't give us the brand and model...

I would boot in SAFE Mode and see if you can do a defragment... if you can, reboot normally.

If you locate the brand of your hard drive (like Raybay said, since we dont have it), you can actually find the hard drive diagnostic tool for whatever brand it is (Seagate uses Seatools for example) and run a simple diagnostic on your drive to see if there are any bad sectors.

But without knowing anymore info it is rather hard to recommend software

Ah yes, sorry. It's a MAXTOR 6Y120L0. Ive ran the seagate tests and all passed except the Long DST test which paused at around 75% completion.

In our experience, the Maxtor is exceeded only by the Hitachi for high failure rates... and yours is typical of the bad ones... use a USB external enclosure to rescue your data from that drive, and install your choice of Fujitsu, Samsung, Seagate, Toshiba, or Western Digital hard drive.
Avoid Tri-Gem, Maxtor, or Hitachi hard drives due to their long history of unreliable performance.

I tried a Seagate barracuda 7200.7 and the same signs around the windows loading screen where the same, aswell as switching the cables but nothing worked, Process Explorer shows that Hardware interupts are using almost 90% of my cpu around the random 'lag' times

Uninstalling my primary IDE controller and letting windows reinstall it seems to have fixed the program and reverted it to DMA, thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back