Headset problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Microsoft LifeChat LX3000 USB headset that I'm trying to use and I have a couple of problems with it. It's set as the default device for audio, but unless it's plugged in when the PC boots it has no sound, however if I use the control panel for audio and the attendant audio test both the mike and headset are active and the mike test shows recording, yet there is no sound on playback. If I boot with the headset plugged in I get sound, but now the control panel audio test function doesn't work at all. 2 questions, how do I get the mike function to work and how can I switch from the USB headset to the front panel miniconnector audio? I'm running XP home with SP3 and using the integrated sound chips.

When you're having problems, have you tried clicking Ctl Panel->Sound->Audio and manually selecting/changing the sound playback device?

Yes, this seems to have no effect. It seems that whatever is plugged in at system boot works but in no case can I get a mike on the headset to work. At best, using the control panel, audio, voice, test hardware the mike indicates it's working but there is no playback of recorded sound.

Not sure if this will reveal anything but could generate two DxDiag reports (instructions below)

1. Boot up with the USB headset plugged in (and sound via headset works) generate the report

2. When you boot up without the USB headset plugged in, generate a report

• click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Also, check for Problem Devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Yes, have driver. Problem is semi-solved. If and only if the default sound and recording devices are set and the appropriate devices are plugged in at boot, will the headsets work. That is to say both mike and earphones work completely on a lap top. The USB headset with mike works on both my laptop and desktop, but the analog mike will not work on the desktop no matter what. What is strange is that the USB mike function works fine when tested on Skype, but will not work using the control panel>sound devices>voice recording and playback test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back