Help building a new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

xquizyt

I'm not a gamer but just want something fast.

My build so far...

Power Supply
FSP 450W AX450-PN ATX12V

Memory
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667

Motherboard
Asus P5N-E SLI LGA775 Nvidia nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel

Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA775 (Does the processor come with the fan or will I need to get one.)

Hard Drive
Will use old 40GB HD for internal and buy a large external.

Am I missing anything?

GET DDR2 PC2 6400 800Mhz

Processor should come with a fan if RETAIL, unless store states its a OEM chip.

HARD DRIVE : TRUST ME you need new hard drive 7200 or 10K rpm SATA 300.

I had a single WD 250Gb HD SATA, and it was the biggest bottle neck of my system.. I got a SECOND 250Gb HD Configured in RAID 0 , MUCH better perfromance.

and you're missing a video card.. a 8500GT for under $100 should be fine.

The most important components for gaming are: (in this order)

1. Graphics card
2. CPU speed
3. Ram

Anything other than gaming (general productivity) a low end computer can handle just fine.

What you have there is better then lots of people's game rig; all you need is a good graphics card. Don't full with used HD or external later. Just go ahead and get a big enough such as a SATA 500Gb WD HD around $80 if you check around. If you are using 4Gb of ram, make sure using 64 bit Vista so you don't have to make changes later like me.

xquizyt said:
I'm not a gamer but just want something fast
a Core2Duo machine is going to be fast no matter what you use.

if you're not a gamer then an SLI motherboard is overkill for you. save your money and get a microATX motherboard and a cheap video card. use the money you'll save to buy a new [internal] hard drive.

an external HDD is good as a backup device, but it shouldn't be used as a primary drive. a USB drive uses more CPU resources and it's transfer speed is limited by the slower USB speed (USB=60MB/s, PATA=100/133MB/s, SATA150=150MB/s, SATA300=300MB/s)

:wave:

I would stick with that ASUS. I have one and they are excellent. Someday you may want to use two video cards. It provides great O'Cing for your E6750 also. You are going to use your copy of Windows from your present computer? That's fine but you would do better to put in 200+gigs SATA HD. You won't need an external hard drive. Better for a laptop than a desktop. What O.S. are you running? Are you thinking of installing your programmed 40 gig hard drive to save money? (I'm only guessing). It's quite probable that this won't boot to a new BIOS (if this is your plan). Good Luck.

I am going to run Windows Vista. The 40GB hardrive was going to be reformatted and all software taken off. But I do understand that having a small old hard drive can possible cause problems with the computer. The most complicated systems would be just Photoshop and Illustrator. Along with some patternmaking software. I want something that will last me a long time without having to upgrade in the future.

I am planning to either get a second monitor or a larger LCD TV. I want to be able to watch movies at the same time as doing other things on the computer.

Oh and I have this video card already.
EVGA 256-P2-N615TX GeForce
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130062

IMO, you don't need that powerful a PC and should get these parts instead.

ASUS P5B-MX LGA 775 Intel 946GZ Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $76.32
Intel Dual-Core E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail - $89.99
Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4PT 2GB DDR2-675 XMS2-5400 Xtreme Performance Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader Retail - $44.80 x2

All parts are of excellent quality and will work together well. Be sure to get Vista x64 in order to use all 4GB of your RAM, since 32-bit OSes can only recognize upto 4GB of memory, including VRAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back