help-cant access the web

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
basically i cant access the web with my web browsers (both IE and firefox) however i can use p2p software such as limewire (which i have since removed form my PC) and i can stream video (e.g. .ram files with real player).
i am using a wireless router in which i have one computer connected via ethernet cable and a laptop connected via wireless connection, both computers can surf the net without a problem. i have had this problem for over a year, and have tried two different wireless recivers and an ethernet cable and i still get the same problem.
i have ran various virus scanners and anti-spyware software (which all came out clean).

any help would be much appreciated.

p.s. i am a complete novice at networking.

Before the networking experts will be able to help you, you will need to clarify your situation a bit. It sounds like you have two computers (one wired; one wireless) that are working perfectly fine on the network. However, you then seem to have a third computer (how is it connected?) that can get online via P2P or RealPlayer software but not via a web browser? The experts will also want to know what operating system the problem machine has, if you have a firewall enabled, what type of router you are using, etc.

hum; which firewall and/or AV products are you using?
Some of these can prohibit internet access based upon the APPLICATION.
As your p2p and email are working, it would appear to be a limitation upon the
application, not the network per se

but of course, unless it is the brain dead MS Freebe.

Comodo not only has network rules, eg ip/ports allowed, but
also specifically which applications are allowed to open sockets ... AND
which DLLs are allowed to be loaded.

These controls allow the user to control all the dreaded applications which
like to 'phone home' with info that you have no control over.

A firewall without a config is useless (imo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back