[HELP] Computer turning itself off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I did search this topic before i posted but there seems to be lots of variations of problems.

Anyway...

My computer as recently has been randomly turning itself off for no reason. At first this was once week but now every few hours. Once it turns itself off it won’t turn back on for at least 10 minutes.

I first thought it was the cpu temp but I checked it ands its 34'c and then check the graphics card temp which is also fine.

My friend advised to run virus scan which I do but every time its halfway through the computer turns off. Also I was importing a CD via iTunes and it also turned itself off.

All this really started happening after i replaced the graphics card so I could have 2 monitors running. All worked great until it started to turn of randomly.

I am running a pc with windows xp (Home edition - Service Pack 2)

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20HHz, 512 RAM

Need some help, thanks way in advance

cheers

I downloaded a program called HDDTemperature and its at 35'c at the moment.

Graphics card is GeFORCE 6200 its temp now is 44'c at the moment.

im not sure but id say that it is either a bad temperiture sensor or it is actually that hot.Either way thats probably whats turning the system off because the mobo has an on board safety feature telling it to turn off when the comp gets to a high temperature.
Have you checked that all your fans are spinning if there is one that isnt then that may be the cause of the high temps/random restarts
another thing to try temporerally would be to run the system with the side panel of the case off

I have took the case off the side and tryed running it, both fans are spinning.

FAN1:2557 RPM
FAN2:2637 RPM
FAN3:0 RPM

TEMP1:33C
TEMP2:102C
TEMP3:67C
HDD:36C

Any adivce?

Decided to clean the cpu heat sink, it was covered in dust. Clean it completely - and the temp is down now to about 58C. So thats improvement.

so your CPU was at 102? jeez... make sure you put some arctic silver between the HS and CPU. wow, 102... that makes me want to overclock higher! Speaking of overclocking, are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back