Help I'm infected with safewebnavigating 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Hope you can help me. We have been infected by safewebnavigating2008!!

I am working my way through your 8 steps as listed in topic58138

I had tried a few things I found on the web before I found this site,I think I have removed the infection but my desktop is still all over the place and I cannot connect to the internet.

I am at step 4 which is taking forever...

Would you have a look at my logs if I can get them to the lapop....my desktop wasnt recognising my data stick and I'mnot sure I can paste to my CD write drive either....

Thanks
Lisa

I tried that one earlier but it didnt work..I've just run malware and it's starting tolook like normal,although I still cant get internet explorer to load up.

I'mjust running super antispyware then I'll try SD fix again..

Can I just check Can i install and run AVG alongside malware and super antispy??

Thanks
Lisa

Right.

Have run all 8 steps and SDfix...PC seems to be back to normal but I still cant open internet explorer..nor does it seem to recognise any usb ports so I cant copy over the logs .Any advice??

I've tried resetting the default in internet options?

I've also tried installing AVG and it cant install because it says another abtivirus is running??can I run it as well as super antispyware and malware or is it instead of?

Thanks

Hi Lisa :

In your 1st post you said can not connect to the internet and in your last Post
can not Open Internet Explorer; these are 2 different "Issues" . IF you can not connect to the internet and your Operating System is Win XP SP2, try clicking
"Run", then type "cmd" ( without the Quotes ), click "ok", then type
"netsh winsock reset" ( without the Quotes ) and go from there; rebooting the
computer should be the last "Step" .

This is why it is important to provide as much specific Info as possible; at this point
the SPECIFIC Name of your Operating System is important AND which Version
of Internet Explorer ( IE6, IE7, IE8 ) .

Hi,

Sorry for my lack of info,I am a bit of a virgin with all this tech talk....but I;ll do my best.

I think I can connect to the internet because after I completed the 8 steps windows installed SP3....but internet explorer opens but doesnt do anything.

I have XP and Internet Explorer 7. I can get to you because I can use hubby's lap top.

Should I still do the run thing now I have SP3?

thanks for all your help it really is apreciated..

Lisa

Hi Lisa :

Since "Windows" installed SP3, it definitely seems like you can connect to the
internet and my "netsh winsock reset" is NOT needed . However, since SP3 was
able to be installed, it means you have your Windows "Automatic Updates" in the
"Recommended" Setting, not a wise Choice. You would be wise to go to your
"Control Panel", click "Automatic Updates", then put the "dot" in the "Notify me, but
don't automatically download or install them" Setting . The SP3 Operating System
should NOT be installed UNLESS One is reasonably certain they are malware-free
AND they have checked their computer manufacturer's website for possible
updated "Drivers" for the computer they have .

You MAY have a problem with IE not doing anything because of what an experienced, certified, Volunteer, "Microsoft Most Valuable Professional" shared
@ http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33211 !? SP3 has problems
functioning "correctly" under different circumstances . At this point, I recommend
you uninstall SP3, which should take you back to SP2, AND uninstall IE7, which
should take you back to IE6 . Then with IE6 on your computer, try installing
SP3 ; IF that goes smoothly, see IF IE functions "correctly" . IF yes, then upgrade
to IE7 and see IF that functions "correctly" !? IF you continue to have problems
with IE, I then recommend you ask for Help on those Support Forums at
http://aumha.net .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back