Help...My CD-RW does not detect after i installed a new Sony DVD-RW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello...
I had a CD-RW(Samsung) installed on my pc and recently i installed a Sony DVD-RW..since then my pc recognizes only the DVD drive, regardless of how much i clean or fiddle with them wires...Im not so experienced, so master and slave settings are not familiar to me...Can some 1 help me by tellin me why it aint geettin detected, n what to do now?
P.S. It does not detect even when i run detect new hardware or add new hardware....

Who makes the PC or are you using a clone?
Do this make the DVD-RW the slave and make the CD-RW the master. Don't bother to use cable select (CS). Does the BIOS see both drives. That's important. Forget about Windows XP, if the system doesn't see these drives then you got a problem. Make sure both drives are on the same channel.

0 - master hdd1 or (cs)
0 - slave hdd2 or (cs)
1 - master cd-rw
1 - slave dvd-rw

If you still can't get it to work then don't use CS for any HDD and try that. If it still doesn't work then just try the CD-RW without the Sony if that works then diable the Samsung and then try to see if the SONY works without it. If it does then something not right with the samsung hardware and might not be able to work with the SONY. It can happen.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You need to set the jumpers on your optical drives as follows. Diagrams on the drives will show you which jumper settings are which.

Dvd-RW set it to master if it`s not already set that way.
CD-RW set it to slave.

This pic shows you where to find the jumpers.

step03_300.gif

Connect the dvd to the end of the ide cable and the cd to the connector that is part way down the cable.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

hey u're right the BIOS is not detecting the 2nd drive - The DVD-RW is the secondary master and there is no primary....

i didnt quite get the jumper setting right..i would really appreciate it if u could elaborate more...n abt the ide cable..i have connected it the other way round n unfortunately enough one of the plugs is stuck now...does that have 2 b done.....

Sheesh...how do i get out the stuck pin now..

The jumper settings for each drive will be clearly visible on the drive labels etc.

Set the DVD-RW to master(it sounds like it already is) and the CD-RW to slave. Then connect the DVD-RW to the end of the ide cable on the secondary IDE channel and the CD-RW to the connector that is part way down, also on the Same cable.

To pull out the cable, gently wiggle it from side to side while pulling it out. It may be a bit stiff, but will come out if you persevere.

Regards Howard :)

howard nice pics and blown up one too for those us who can't see what where typing :)

Jumpers are set to master when you buy them some say CS (cable select) this makes the PC BIOS decide the order of loading. Sometimes this doesn't work on older systems.

Needle-nose plyers will work to take out the pin to place it in the right slot. Or you can use a very small screwdriver and slowly push-up the pin. A small pocket knife also works too.

Master CDRW or Slave
Master DVDRW or Slave you can't have both saying the same it has to be one or the other.

Name all your IDE devices and i'll tell you where to connect them.
Do you have 2 IDE cables.
Wiggling and tinkering is not a sollution.
Get someone who knows how to connect your drives,or start with just your Windows Hard drive as Primary Master.
Window will detect any others connected properly 1 at a time and not need anything else done if it's connected and Jumpered right.
Buy 2 of the new round IDE cables.The old flat style damage easy.

BTW,all you need is a DVD-RW and Nero will burn CD's and DVD's.
The other one should be a DVD Player-cdrom.
Easy way to copy any disc and play movies.

Yup i know all about the software its the hardware stuff that bothers me.. neways thanks howard i set the jumper setting of DVD-rw to slave and CD-rw to master and now its workin fine...
thank you all for your help i really appreciate it!!
thanks again, arv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back