HELP - My laptop keeps shutting down for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Im new to this site and wondered if someone can diagnose a problem for me?

I have a Toshiba Satellite A30-514 laptop and recently it keeps on shutting down without warning, the fan kicks in (quite loudly) and then total loss of power. It comes back on as soon as i press the on button and it doesnt feel too hot. I would really appreciate somebody shedding some light on this for me.

maybe

I don't know much about laptops, but on a desktop, those symptoms would lead me to suspect overheating, esp. the processor. Does your CPU have thermal sensing/protection? My P4 will shut the system down if it gets too hot.

That's just an idea- wait for someone with more laptop smarts to show up.

Welcome to Tech Spot!! :wave: :giddy: :grinthumb

same prob, diff laptop.

Hi there, just had same problem today with my old Advent6480.
but i did have it apart lol.
fan works quietly and feels nie and cool, but the processor is overheating causing laptop to shutdown.
so if cooling fan is ok, what then?
seems like common prob, especially with a laptop with out of production parts.

Thanks Dragon Master.
the new heatsink compound worked a treat.
Amazing how simple the solution was.

Glad it worked!

You might also want to try flashing the bios to make sure you have the latest version ,,,,, that seem to take care of a lot of the problems with the Toshiba laptops that I have come across

Should help, that's what I did with my 1910, fixed a big problem : Y2K support!

thermal grease. Its a little tube of paste that you stick between the cpu and heatsink to help transfer heat away from the cpu.

Laptops are prone to overheating. I would first suspect dust accumulation. Get a couple cans of compressed air and blow out all of your vents.

My g/f had this same problem with her laptop it was a Inspiron 5600 or w/e from dell it would just randomly shut off for no reason and after about 1 month of this continueing it finally just made a squeak noise and the system crashed out and rebooted and it was the HDD burned out or something since installing a new one not one problem.

FYI i hate laptops no space and to hot I also hate Dell and hope there company burns to the ground

Hi- I am having the same issue with a emachines M6811-- what is heatsink, where do I get it and how do I use it?? I know nothing about computers and I can not bring it to a shop as I am in Germany and do not speak German!! Also, I do not think they have a place on post. Is this somehting that I can fix myself?? Thanks for the help--

System shutting down

Hello ya'll, I'm new to this forum today and seems I may have the same problem???? Laptop, Toshiba 5005-S504 running xp home just started shutting off too. Seems though that if I turn it on and just let it sit there without signing on, it wouldn't shut off. I can be on it for a few minutes or upon signing in, and it just shuts off. My battery doesn't show that it is full either so that may be one thing; although I took out the battery and took out the plug, both doing the same?? Any light to shed my way? Thanks alot, see ya'll soon.

your battery may not be holding a charge. Remove it and plug the computer in, if it does not shut off, then you have a bad battery and it should be recycled and replaced.

more help please

Taking out the battery does not help-- mine can be running fine for a few days, while plugged into the wall and suddenly for no reason it will sound like it is reving up and then it will shut down... what could this be?? I have an emachines M6811 by the way-- thanks for the help!!

defective mobe

If your laptop is working good for days then, suddently is crushing down, perhaps is something wrong with your mobo.

Check the mobo and let us know it the results.

Good Luck to you for the future.

When you say shutting down, you mean all the off or it goes into sleep mode? I have an older model Compaq that will do that, after several hours though, not days. I simply just press the power button again and everything is fine.

Thank you both for the help-- the computer is completely shutting down not going into sleep mode. It is about 2 1/4 years old. I would check the mobo, but I have no clue what you are talking about or how to check it, can you please explain? I really know nothing about computers-- Thanks!!

Battery

Try to change the battery to see wheather or not your current battery is not at the end of the life cycle.

Then you can search for the problem if this persists

Good luck to for the future.

help new too!!

DragonMaster said:
I think that the heatsink compound might be a bit old and dry then.

What is a heatsink compound and how do I fix or replace this? My laptop is doing the same things, reving up then shutting down, I thought it might be getting too hot and might be dirty. What do you guys suggest??? please help the newkid in town!!! Thanks for reading! Oh and I don't know all the computer talk, so please keep it 4th grade for me! LOL

I need help...

Hello everyone,

Uh what can I say...well I'm sorry for the person above or under me that wanted help and thought I was going to provide it and now I'm asking for help. Well Ugh...getting to the point...my laptop is a Gateway HDMI model number W350A and it has a problem that is very frustrating. I bought this laptop about 2 yrs ago in bestbuy and i thought it was good enough for a kid in highschool who will later use it for college. Well after 2 yrs. I had already downloaded Limewire and itunes and msn messenger and all kinds of things (ehhhn...i also sometimes would leave it charging over night). To the point that my Laptop started to become more and more slow so I had messed with it (basically undownload the useless things i have on there) and it picked up speed so everything was all good for like about....(let's say two weeks). Then one day while I was fixing my myspace profile on my laptop (oh and by the way i was charging the battery and it was already charged for about and hour) on the left side of my laptop it started to warm up like a lot and i can hear the fans work perfectly but it got really warm so i grabbed a text book and gently used it as a stage for my laptop you know thinking it would cool down a bit. Then while i was watching a video on Youtube my laptop turned off like a sudden shut down. When I turned it back on and it took me to a place saying it wasn't shut down properly that do i want to start windows normally or safe mode. I was pissed off but i said to myself it's not like it's anything big then while login in to my administrator account it turned off again. 4 months since that day has passed and my laptop still does that but now it drained all the power from my Li-ion battery. Now when I fully charge it and i check how much time does the battery let me use it says fully charged time 20 min till low battery. If anyone that has experiance in this type of things please message me on myspace or to my email or to this techspot place. My myspace website is myspace.com/nivek1r please contact me....i really hate this laptop now (plus i got an essay to type and i can't do it now)

laptop

Hello,

Try to replace the coolers inside the laptop.
Verify if you do not have a protection in Bios regarding the processor's temperature.

Good Luck to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back