Help needed setting up a water cooling loop

andymac26

Hey all,

I've decided on upgrading to a water cooling system for my CPU, and two GPU's (most probably a set of 680's), curently have two 560 Ti's, and a i5-2500k CPU

I'm not sure a dual loop is the best solution or a single loop with two radiators and a decent pump. EKWB have some pretty decent stuff so I'll be getting most components from them.
I've done a quick picture of the setup I was thinking of for a single loop. I'll be setting it up in either a Corsair 800d or 650d case, with the 800d obviously having different radiators.

Anyone know if this is a good way to go for a setup like this?

Thanks

Attachments

• fr_177_size400.jpg
    fr_177_size400.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 8
You need a pump with a good amount of head pressure for a single loop of this kind.

Oh and larger rad for gpus pls. Other than that this setup is fine.

i think i'll get the 800d which will be able to have a 360mm rad, and a 120mm one somewhere else in the system, i suppose it would be better having the 360mm rad between the CPU and GPU's. and a Laing D5 Vario 12V DC Pump (MCP 655), 1200LPH, 50PSI

sound good enough?

I'd design it differently, give me a few minutes and I'll draw you a picture and tell you why.

waterloop4.png

The reservoir should be the highest component in the loop. You're gonna add water there and the water will want to go down and fill up the space below it. The water will also prime your pump that way.

You will trap air in the loop. It will gather at the highest point in your loop, and right now that's a radiator. Air does not conduct heat nearly as fast as water does. You want the air to gather in the reservoir so you can easily replace it with fluid. As long as the reservoir is on the low pressure side of the pump it won't need to be water tight at the top because the pump will be sucking the water out just as fast as it's pumping it in. Low pressure side means the pumps sucks fluid directly from the reservoir, and the reservoir is higher than the pump. You don't want your pump to push water directly into a reservoir.

Oops I didn't see the arrows on your diagram, but still reservoir highest component in the loop.

You will not need radiators that large. You could probably easily cool the CPU with one 120mm X 120mm. The GPUs will need a decent radiator maybe 240 X 120.

That's about it.

that system looks just about how i want it, the only problem would be that the larger radiator will be along the top so the best i could do with the reservoir would be to have a cylinder type res as high as possible in the case

Back