HELP needed with hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all im new to the boards....

I need help ASAP, if anyone could help me out with my problem then it's be much appreciated...

Right... today my computer thought it would restart itself....upon restarting itself, it continued to load the windows xp screen and just before the username screen...it just crashed, ive tried several things (safe mode and all that jazz) to get it up and running but to no avail!

ive inserted and installed another hard drive, complete with windows 98 (Yay)..i then went onto install windows xp on the hard drive...

it was going fine, until it all went wrong..the counter got to *approx 19 mins left* and it just froze although the little loading screen in the bottom right hand corner of the screen continued to go on, and the *info screen* still done its job....but the *approx 19 mins left* counter still froze for a good 10 - 15 mins i had to then restart the comp.

I then trye it 3 times after that but to no avail....ive been told to just boot the windows xp disc from the BIOS settings..

first boot: CD-ROM
second boot:IDE-0

Then disable all the rest?

then save settings and reboot...ive done all this till im sick and tired..and still no wiped hard drive!!

now then can someone help me....i need help like right now if thats possible

i have no time to wait for a reply on here, this is urgent...

i have a mobile number to catch me on though : 07706228018 and my names Carl

thanks soooo much! :(

You are doing a complete re-install? I.e., you are formatting the hard driver BEFORE you install windows?

And during this reinstallation your computer is freezing on you?

First thing I would do personally is run a diagnostic on the ram and on the hard drive.

For your ram, run this test: www.memtest.org for 6 or 7 passes (takes a few hours)
For your hard drive, see this thread https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

Hard-Drive Help

:bounce:
Hello there: I have had the same problem , and I found that is NOT associated with the hard drive. It is more however of a BIOS setting , I dont know much about your system, but, usually you can access the BIOS (Basic Inout Output System), By usually pressing that F2 Key or the Ezcape key. Once you access it- Make sure that you access the adnvance settings , Disable memory shadowing, you may want to also disable the processor cache, or you can also try to use the "DEFAULT" values that is associated with the BIOS. Now I also Recommend that if you have a format utitlity Format your harddrive-(The default value is 8 KB and 16 sectors) if you can format the harddrive to approxiamtely 32 KB! This will enble much better and faster performance! You see- your hard-drive operates in bursts, so you will have more data read back and forth from the ram, you will see a much better difference! - I hope that this helps you! Good Luck

Secret_Squirrel :grinthumb :grinthumb

I think I would "wipe the slate clean". Boot from W98 floppy and use fdisk to delete the partition(s) on the drive. Then I would reboot, enter the BIOS and set to default settings and turn off shadowing. Save your changes and turn your computer off (for cold boot) Next, I would boot from the XP disk. The XP disk (if OEM/full version) will partition and format the drive before installing Xp.
If problems persist I would do a memory Dx. Also, do the basics - check cables connections etc. Replace suspect cables. I have a falky drive and found that one of the drives pins is loose - pushes in and out - sometimes its there sometimes not. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Monton

I think the problem with XP not working, would be because the windows XP disc i have is scrathced to buggery lol!!

i dont really know much about the technical side of computers, i'd need step by step help if that at all possible...

Plus i dont have a win98 floppy disc :(

also i dont know much about my system, i do know that its...

pentium 3 processor
797mhz
128mb RAM (see told you i didnt know s**t all!)

I have found a better idea, Im just going to buy a new hard drive...

the problem i now have is, will it comply with my computers connectors and stuff :S

details....

Brand: Fujitsu
Series: MHT-AH
Model: MHT2040AH
Performance Capacity: 40GB
Cache: 8MB
Average Seek Time: 12ms
Average Latency: 5.56ms
RPM: 5400 RPM
Interface: ATA-6
Physical Spec Form Factor: 2.5"
Features: Fourth-generation Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) motors dramatically reduce acoustic noise
Warranty: Manufacturer Warranty 3 Years

sound good to you guys.

Orrrr this one...

Hitachi Deskstar Internal Hard Drive

250 Gb Drive Capacity

7200 rpm Drive Speed

8MB Buffer Cache

3.5" High Performance Hard Disk

S-ATA Interface

Quiet Drive Technology

Designed for Computing, Gaming & More

Ideal Capacity for Video and Music Files

and at £99.99 plus £1.00 delivery doesnt sound to bad tbh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back