Help Please! NTFS.SYS Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm new around here..

A while ago my PC crashed, I don't know what happened to it or why.. It just keeps on giving me a blue screen with an NTFS.SYS error just before it boots windows..

I've tried repairing it through the WinXP Pro SP2 setup, but as soon as I get to the middle of the setup the computer reboots again..

I've read alot of threads about using the Knopper/Knoppix.. But, I had no luck either, as soon as it detects all my devices it goes to something called (CHCK Level 5).. then the screen shuts and it stops working..

I don't know what to do about it, and I have about 60 GB of Data on it.. It's a SATA..

Sincerely,
Naz

Boot in safe mode didn't work..

Thanks for the sites, i'll check them and get back to you..

Sincerely,
Naz

I found this on MS KB

To resolve this problem, replace the missing or corrupted Ntfs.sys file:
1. Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.
3. Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):
cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old
Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.
6. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers
Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.
7. Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.
8. Restart the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back