Help to change Wallpapers in Win2000 Prof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody
my PC is on a LAN and the users use network login mechanisms to login to our systems
somehow the screensavers and Wallpaper changing capability has been disabled by the Network Administrator on all LAN PCs
I feel violated by this
nowhere in the whole world is anyone harmed by personalization of a personal computer
I need help from all of you to suggest a method where this can be over-ridden
i mean through some registry settings or some other way
remember that i dont have adminstrative rights on my comp

but i do want to know solutions assuming i acquire admin rights

thank you and awaiting your responses

One way to gray those options out, is by removing all .scr (screensaver) and .bmp (wallpaper) files from the windows directory.

Screensavers and wallpaper are great for hiding spyware and virii in, hence the disablement. Unless you want to lose your job for tampering with the registry of the company's PC, all you can do is *****, moan and complain, then grin and bear it.

hey thanx realblackstuff
so you say probably all files were deleted from the win directory to gray the options
but to install a default wallpaper. they would have to put that file in the same directory or not
and/or is it possible to replace that file
or is it some .exe
got no hassles with some wallpapers being removed or changed
just curious about the info

Don't know if this what you want or not, this may not even work for you.

Our company stopped us from displaying background screens too. My manager found a way round this.

Right click anywhere on the desktop. Select Active Desktop/New Desktop item. Then use Browse to locate a background picture you want.
It should then display on your desktop. The picture filename will then be added to the menu that "New Desktop Item" is on so you can switch several on or off as necessary.

You can resize the picture too and move it round the screen udnerneath the desktop icons too.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back