Help w/ memory purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am upgrading my HP PAVILLION DV1000 NOTEBOOK from 512mb to 1gb but I have received mixed reviews in what kind to purchase. I may sound like a newb but is there a difference between SDRAM and SODIMM? I got a link from someone for everest and it told me I already have SDRAM, however, every where else says laptops use SODIMM. SDRAM is remarkably cheaper and if i can use that, i would like to.

Also, is it possible to use 400 mhz as opposed to the recommended 333? Sorry for sounding like a newb. Thanks to anyone who can help.

How i"d solve this

I'll presume you don't have a motherboard manual to tell you what ram.type,size and available slots.
You need this info.
HP website should have a pdf download or your systems ram info when
viewing product information.Find yours.

I regret to say, since I am a BIG fan of HP, that their website and Tech. Support are practically worthless. I called to find out and they told me i need 333 mhz DDR. I knew that! So.... is there a difference between SDRAM and SODIMM?

SODIMM is a memory format aimed specifically at notebooks, so it would be good idea to get that. SODIMM memory modules can be of the SDRAM (single data rate RAM) variety but there aren't any SDRAM modules that run at 333MHz, you would need DDRAM (double data rate RAM) modules for that kind of speed.

Well, now I am really confused. I just called HP......AGAIN. and they told me it definitely is NOT SODIMM and I need SDRAM. What gives? Because like I said befoe, I ran Everest and it too told me SDRAM. So what would happen if I installed the wrong kind? Will I fry my P.C.?

This is what I found and want to purchase
"pqi POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700)"
Will it work? Again its an HP PAVILLION DV1000 NOTEBOOK.
The speed is correct, I at least know that much.
(note, It does say it is desktop memory)

Yea, sodimm is the smaller notebook ram. They can come in a variety of different formats, but if you are upgrading ensure that you get the:

-Same Frequency
-Same type (eg. DDR or DDR2)
-Same brand (there are sometimes some clock issues between different brands, even with the same frequency. Happened to me ;) )

DDR SDRAM = DDRAM so there's no problem there. ;)

It's odd that it doesn't use SODIMM modules though, is it some kind of desktop replacement laptop (those big & heavy laptops made with desktop parts) ?

No. It is actually on the smaller side. 14" screen. Pretty light too. The whole scenario has got me quite baffled i must say. But HP Tech Support swore up and down that it IS SDRAM. I asked them over and over and over. They still may not have understood tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back