Help with a simple LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaquio

This is my problem...
i have a Cable Modem an Motorola SB5101 one with 640K broadband
now... i cant seem to make a normal lan in my house...
this is the situacion

1- Motorola SB5101 Cable Modem
1- 5 Por Eusso Switch
2- Computers Connected.

heres the problem... both computers are connected to the internet but each one has a dynamic IP... i think the Cable Modem is assigning them the IP by DHCP. I want to see both computer like a normal LAN because with this Config... they are connected to the internet Individually... not through the LAN.

ive tried giving each pc a specific IP like 192.168.1.24 and no go...
should i use the gateway my ISP has which is 201.168 something? or should i use the Cable Modem as the Gateway... which is 192.168.1.100.. ive tried both... and no go...

is there something im doing wrong?... or im missing something?

Help here plz...

You need a router to share an internet connection and by the looks of it, your modem cannot function as a router.

I had that one I don't remember router funtion
its just a cable modem
switch is ok now get a single port router to connect to switch
if not get another nic and do ics modem to pc 1 to pc 2

Yeah... i know i can do it that way... but i dont like leaving my PC turned on for long periods... say more than a week...

Add a router, something like a linksys or D-Link should be fairly cheap.

Plug the modem > router > switch > clients
Disable DHCP on the router
Assign your clients a private IP address of something like 192.168.0.100/24 (assign client IP's depending on your routers IP adress, could be (.1.100/24))
Point client default gateway to the router which will likely be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1
Verify the clients are in the same workgroup

Oh... you're in Panama... well the better solution is still a router. Not sure of your router options in that region of the Western Hemisphere.

let the router do the DHCP as the switch and modem will not.
Once you have a router, the switch is redundant. I have that setup, but only to facilitate the physical wiring in the room. The router feeds the left-half and the switch feeds the right-half.

I had him turn off DHCP because I am used to assigning stuff on my home network private static addresses. However Jaq is right, the DHCP needs to be set up if you are planning on using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back