Help with any graphics card cooling (that doesnt attatch to the card)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

what VGA coolers do you reccomend? (that do not attatch to the card)

My Gainward 6800Gt 2400\2ns, is a nice card and has quite chunky cooling, it does run quite hot and would like to cool it down for o/c purposes.

Incase you havnt seen the Gainward cards they are coverd in a chassis with 2 60mm fans which makes putting any other cooling on it hard, (however one side is exposed apart from the baseplate).

I was wondering if anyone new of anything to aid my graphics card.

Cheers, Alex

P.S= here are some pics

Attachments

• gainward_side_view.jpg
    gainward_side_view.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Gainward GeForce 6800GT Side View.JPG
    Gainward GeForce 6800GT Side View.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 21
That looks like it should cool the card really well. I have a VGA Silencer on mine. It replaces the stock HSF.

www.zalman.co.kr

check out their vga cooler section, 'tis filled with good stuff. have you acertained whether your high temps are casued by the ambient temperature of the case? what is your case temp at full load?

Thanks

Cheers for the help lads,Zephead has helped me in the past as well.

Well in truth i have recently descoverd that GPU's are infact loads more heat tollerant than CPU's. When i checked my gpu temp and it was 65C then i was worried, but apparntly the threshold is 120C were as my Amd only runs at 45C with a threshold of about 70-80C.

Cheers for the anyway guys!, especially Zephead for the help in the past.

Alex

Hi gg

This is my first post here :cool:

Thought I'd drop by to say that I also have a Gainward 6800Gt 2400 Ultra GS. I found the stock cooling to be very effecrtive but way too loud :blackeye:

So I just changed the double-hurricane-fan cooler for a Zalman VF700Cu. Its easy to fit, runs silently and does an even better job at keeping the core and memory cool than the stock cooler. Its a beautiful piece of kit and also makes the card less intrusive on other hardware.

Definitely worth bearing in mind :grinthumb

HTH

al

Cheers, Ive never met someone with the same card as mine :( Anyway, how did you attach the cooler? did you just replace the noisy 60mm fans or is it a complete new cooler?

Cheers for the post.

Alex

Its a complete replacement, an all-in-one unit that replaces the fans and heatsink. I was very reluctant to do this mod on account of the cost of the card but it really is easy and not risky at all. The stock heat sink comes off with no force applied. The only slightly tricky bit was removing the stock fan connector. Have a gander at the 7th thread on this page for more opinions:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=305915

The concerns that I had before fitting are addressed in the thread below. Let me know if you want more info on fitting.

Al

One more question, im interested in getting the Zalman cooler now, but i was wondering if the ram heatsinks acctually fitted to your ram modules?

The ram modules on my card are bigger than the standard ones and would be compatible with the tiny heatsinks.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex

The ram heatsinks fit perfectly on my 6800GT. I don't know what card you have but go to Zalman's website and find the VF700-Cu or VF700-AlCu. There you will find a list of compatible cards :bounce:

hth
al

abit late said:
Hi Alex

The ram heatsinks fit perfectly on my 6800GT. I don't know what card you have but go to Zalman's website and find the VF700-Cu or VF700-AlCu. There you will find a list of compatible cards :bounce:

hth
al

Cheers for the help, I have the same card as you so everything should be fine.

I'll order one soon and give you my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back