Help with ASUS P5K-E SATA drive detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmutz

I've considered installing Windows XP32bit instead of Windows Vista 64bit, but when installing Windows XP you need to hit F6 key to install RAID drivers for it to detect the Sata HDDs.

This was simple with my old motherboard (ABIT AV8 3rd Eye) because I had a floppy with the required drivers on, but now I don't have any floppy... can I download the files somewhere?

I hope what I've said is clear :) Please ask if there are any problems understanding something

Thanks

Schmutz

Cinders said:
You should be able to find the drivers at:
www.asus.com.tw

I've had to install a driver for a RAID array, but never a drive.

Thanks Cinders. I'm not sure what a RAID array is to be honest here... Is it using two SATA drives together as one? After prodding around earlier, I managed to set up a "RAID" using my 200GB/500GB drives and install windows vista on it, and combined there was only around 380GB so Im sure something was wrong there... I have now taken out the smaller drive and I'm running Windows Vista 64bit on the 500GB. I'm learning a little, but I'm damn confused with all this hard drive technical stuff! :(

You can install XP SP2 without a floppy if you slipstream Windows with the SATA/RAID drivers on the same CD. A google search will tell you how to do so. Vista doesn't have the same problem because it has basic SATA/RAID drivers included, XP did not, at least not all of them.

mailpup said:
You can install XP SP2 without a floppy if you slipstream Windows with the SATA/RAID drivers on the same CD. A google search will tell you how to do so. Vista doesn't have the same problem because it has basic SATA/RAID drivers included, XP did not, at least not all of them.

Thankyou, I'll take a look at that tomorrow :) - Thus far Vista 64bit seems to be operating perfectly fine, but should I have any problems later it'll be a relief that I can revert to XP32bit

I just installed XP home for the 2nd time.
First time i used the SATA floppy option,
2nd time i wasn't asked.I just did a boot from cd F8 with the XP cd in my
CDrom drive ? It formated C,then installed XP.

Hi Schmutz,
I've installed a few of these P5K-E/P5K Deluxe's with Vista, both 32 and 64 bit without issue.

Vista allows you to use a usb mem stick or thumb drive for drivers, so you don't have to worry about a floppy or slipstreaming cd's. You just click "Install Drivers" on the Vista install and pop-in your USB stick with the Intel Matrix drivers for the chipset and all is well.

Are you planning to use the Intel chip or JMicron for SATA? If you use the Intel for SATA (Not RAID or AHCI mode), you wont even need drivers as Vista includes Intel ICHxR SATA drivers so the install will see the drives already.

zipperman said:
I just installed XP home for the 2nd time.
First time i used the SATA floppy option,
2nd time i wasn't asked.I just did a boot from cd F8 with the XP cd in my
CDrom drive ? It formated C,then installed XP.

That makes sense to me though, second time it already seen the old windows installation, and copied the installation files directly after formatting requiring no driver support.

I need to use the SATA floppy option first time though :) And I think I found the files I want here

mailpup said:

I've just read a little about slipstream, sounds good to me. I hope its possible to download XP with SP2 + SATA drivers, then use a legitimate key

My no floppy results

This is my Hardware details without SATA driver floppy install.
I was told it could be done.
I may not be true SATA but I see no difference with these drivers.
This describes what Contollers and drivers XP has.
So Shmutz is this your results ? I think thats all you need.

Attachments

• No Floppy results.jpg
    No Floppy results.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi Zipperman,
That looks correct as the Intel ICHx/ICHxR chipsets can be detected as IDE for install, then later in XP you install the Intel Chipset INF update which will add them as full SATA.

The best way to test this (in XP) is to download HDTach (websearch) and run the quick tests on this. If the "Burst" rate >133MB/s, you know you have SATA mode enabled as IDE UDMA5 caps the burst rate at this point. 150-220MB burst rates suggest SATA interface mode.

Thanks for the info

Sharkfood said:
Hi Zipperman,
That looks correct as the Intel ICHx/ICHxR chipsets can be detected as IDE for install, then later in XP you install the Intel Chipset INF update which will add them as full SATA.

The best way to test this (in XP) is to download HDTach (websearch) and run the quick tests on this. If the "Burst" rate >133MB/s, you know you have SATA mode enabled as IDE UDMA5 caps the burst rate at this point. 150-220MB burst rates suggest SATA interface mode.

I will copy your advice to a text file and study this for a while.
My HD seems to do what i want now,I have no idea what difference
SATA Raid drivers makes.I think memory management is more important.
I have a good friend who repairs PC's to coach me.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back